Education in the colonies of the Jewish Colonization Association in Argentina
The philanthropic activity of Baron de Hirsch was clearly marked by one characteristic: not providing charity but attempting the economic rehabilitation of the beneficiaries. Hirsch systematically suggests that education and professional training were the only way to break the vicious circle of poverty. For instance, for more than a decade Baron de Hirch spent his time and money in the economic rehabilitation of his coreligionists, both in the Ottoman Empire and in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, through education and professional training. In 1891, after discarding the possibility of improving the quality of life of Jews in the Russian Empire through the establishment of an educational system, similar to what was done in other societies, Hirsch founded the Jewish Colonization Association (J.C.A.) through which he would manage the immigration of thousands of people to Argentina and their settlement in agricultural colonies. The original rules of the J.C.A. gave Hirsch full control over the activities of the Association; therefore, this paper hypothesized that the educational actions of the Jewish Colonization Association in the colonies should have been all consistent with Hirsch’s vision on education. The evidence presented clearly supports this hypothesis.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2016|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal|
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/doc_trabajo.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edgardo Zablotsky, 2011. "Filantropía no asistencialista: El caso de los Pampistas," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 472, Universidad del CEMA.
- Edgardo Zablotsky, 2013. "La educacion como instrumento de la filantropia del Barón de Hirsch," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 516, Universidad del CEMA.
- Edgardo Zablotsky, 2013. "La Jewish Colonization Association: Una buena idea, una mala gobernancia," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 511, Universidad del CEMA.
- Edgardo Zablotsky, 2015. "Filantropía no asistencialista. Loewenthal y Heilprin, los ideologos. Hirsch, el ejecutor," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 560, Universidad del CEMA.
- Edgardo Zablotsky, 2015. "El olvidado objetivo del Barón de Hirsch: Educar a los judíos en Rusia, no su inmigración a la Argentina," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 561, Universidad del CEMA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cem:doctra:585. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.