Methodological Issues in the Estimation of the Travel, Energy, and Air Quality Impacts of Telecommuting
This paper addresses methodological issues in the estimation of travel-related impacts of telecommuting, based on findings from eight telecommuting pilot programs. Several of the studies address energy use (both travel-related and home-based) and one provides information on emissions of air pollutants. These findings are analyzed as well. Travel impacts examined include weekday person- and vehicle-miles saved due to a reduction in commuting, overall weekday travel reductions, and other changes in travel patterns for the telecommuter and the household. Some important issues regarding the estimation of these impacts, their use outside of the pilot programs, and their use in estimating energy savings or reductions in emissions are discussed. In particular, it is cautioned that early, short-term findings from small programs with participants unrepresentative of the population as a whole may change considerably as telecommuting moves into the mainstream.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2028 Academic Surge, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616|
Phone: (530) 752-6548
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/itsdavis/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mokhtarian, Patricia L., 1991. "Telecommuting and Travel: State of the Practice, State of the Art," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt4zc486ph, University of California Transportation Center.
- P L Mokhtarian & I Salomon, 1994.
"Modeling the choice of telecommuting: setting the context,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 26(5), pages 749-766, May.
- Mokhtarian, Patricia L. & Salomon, Ilan, 1993. "Modeling the Choice of Telecommuting: Setting the Context," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt0js2m5s7, University of California Transportation Center.
- Kitamura, Ryuichi, 1990. "Panel Analysis in Transportation Planning: An Overview," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt86v0f7zh, University of California Transportation Center.
- Sampath, Srikanth & Saxena, Somitra & Mokhtarian, Patricia L., 1991. "The Effectiveness of Telecommuting as a Transportation Control Measure," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt0km7985p, University of California Transportation Center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:itsdav:qt44n3k2jp. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.