Club objectives and ticket pricing in professional team sports
In this paper the simultaneous decision of a professional sports club on gate ticket prices and talent demand is analysed for a profit and a win maximizing sports club. Although the pricing rule is the same in both scenario’s, the ticket price and the talent demand turn out to be higher in a win maximizing club. Somewhat unexpected is the result that an increase of salary level lowers the optimal ticket price, which complicates the impact of a salary cap on the ticket price. One of the consequences of the identical pricing rule is that all tests based on the pricing rule cannot be conclusive w.r.t. the objective of a club. Also the value of the estimated price elasticity of the demand for tickets can hardly reveal anything about the objective of a sports club. More reliable tests could be based on the comparison of the marginal productivity and the salary level, or on the different impact of revenue sharing.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- SZYMANSKI, Stefan & KÉSENNE, Stefan, 2003.
"Competitive balance and gate revenue sharing in team sports,"
2003003, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Stefan Szymanski & Stefan KÈsenne, 2004. "Competitive balance and gate revenue sharing in team sports," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 165-177, 03.
- J. C. H. Jones, 1969. "The Economics of the National Hockey League," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 2(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Stefan Szymanski, 2003. "The Economic Design of Sporting Contests," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1137-1187, December.
- Sloane, Peter J, 1971. "The Economics of Professional Football: The Football Club as a Utility Maximiser," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 18(2), pages 121-46, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ant:wpaper:2002018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.