Polarity in DEA Models
This article discusses models in data envelopment analysis (DEA) relaxing the standard convexity assumptions. The basic model treats mutually incomparable pairs of sets to be generated by a procedure proposed earlier. Each pair consists of a consumption set and a production set of feasible input-output combinations. Two fundamental operations by the procedure are based on intersection and convex hull generation in the input-output space. A polarity analysis is performed which, subject to the usual assumptions about free disposability and nonnegativity, appears fruitful to do in the framework of blocking and antiblocking sets. It is shown how this leads to an interchange of the above operations extending some classical results from convex analysis. The last part of the paper presents a pair of linear programming models calculating a Farrell productivity index based on a preceeding application of the procedure. This is a generalization of the classical linear programming models in DEA subject to standard assumptions about convexity.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.foi.life.ku.dk/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banker, Rajiv D., 1984. "Estimating most productive scale size using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 35-44, July.
- Peter Bogetoft & Joseph M. Tama & Jørgen Tind, 2000. "Convex Input and Output Projections of Nonconvex Production Possibility Sets," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(6), pages 858-869, June.
- Niels Christian Petersen, 1990. "Data Envelopment Analysis on a Relaxed Set of Assumptions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(3), pages 305-314, March.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- repec:dgr:kubrem:197871 is not listed on IDEAS
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Peter Bogetoft, 1996. "DEA on Relaxed Convexity Assumptions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(3), pages 457-465, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:rvaewp:24188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.