Dynamic Informative Advertising of New Experience Goods
This paper analyzes the optimal advertising and price policies of a monopolist who sells a new experience good over time to a population of heterogeneous forward-looking buyers. We consider informative advertising that can complement or substitute for learning-by-purchasing, and show that the advertising intensity always peaks during the early stages when the price extracts surplus from the buyers who are yet to learn their valuation for the good. We also show that even though informative advertising may temporarily raise prices and slow down the learning process, an advertising ban can reduce welfare.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Justin P. Johnson & David P. Myatt, 2006.
"On the Simple Economics of Advertising, Marketing, and Product Design,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 756-784, June.
- David P. Myatt & Justin P. Johnson, 2004. "On the Simple Economics of Advertising, Marketing, and Product Design," Economics Series Working Papers 185, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Simon P & Ciliberto, Federico & Liaukonyte, Jura & Renault, Régis, 2012.
"Push-Me Pull-You: Comparative Advertising in the OTC Analgesics Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8988, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Simon & Ciliberto, Federico & Liaukonyte, Jura & Renault, Regis, 2012. "Push-Me Pull-You: Comparative Advertising in the OTC Analgesics Industry," MPRA Paper 38626, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Simon P. Anderson & Federico Ciliberto & Jura Liaukonyte & Régis Renault, 2015. "Push-Me Pull-You: Comparative Advertising in the OTC Analgesics Industry," CESifo Working Paper Series 5418, CESifo Group Munich.
- Renault, Régis & Liaukonyte, Jura & Ciliberto, Federico & Anderson, Simon, 2012. "Push-Me Pull-You: Comparative Advertising in the OTC Analgesics Industry," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12285, Paris Dauphine University.
- Dirk Bergemann & Juuso VÃ¤limÃ¤ki, 2006. "Dynamic Pricing of New Experience Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(4), pages 713-743, August.
- Simon P. Anderson & R�gis Renault, 2006.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 93-113, March.
- Simon P. Anderson & Régis Renault, 2006. "comparative Advertising," THEMA Working Papers 2006-18, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Alexander E. Saak, 2008. "THE VALUE OF PRIVATE INFORMATION IN MONOPOLY -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 169-189, 03.
- Nelson, Philip, 1974. "Advertising as Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 729-54, July/Aug..
- Gene M. Grossman & Carl Shapiro, 1984. "Informative Advertising with Differentiated Products," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 63-81.
- Kapil Bawa & Robert Shoemaker, 2004. "The Effects of Free Sample Promotions on Incremental Brand Sales," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(3), pages 345-363, November.
- Lewis, Tracy R & Sappington, David E M, 1994. "Supplying Information to Facilitate Price Discrimination," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(2), pages 309-27, May.
- Amir Heiman & Bruce McWilliams & Zhihua Shen & David Zilberman, 2001. "Learning and Forgetting: Modeling Optimal Product Sampling Over Time," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(4), pages 532-546, April.
- Tülin Erdem & Michael P. Keane, 1996. "Decision-Making Under Uncertainty: Capturing Dynamic Brand Choice Processes in Turbulent Consumer Goods Markets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(1), pages 1-20.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea11:103536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.