Dynamic Informative Advertising of New Experience Goods
This paper analyzes the optimal informative advertising and price policies of a monopolist who sells a new experience good over time to a population of heterogeneous buyers. Under certain conditions, the advertising rate first increases and then decreases over the marketing cycle with a peak occurring at the end of the introductory period when prices are low. Advertising lowers introductory prices but also shortens the period during which they are offered. Advertising raises the share of consumers who know their valuation in the long-run but not necessarily in the short-run
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 60 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0022-1821|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Philip, 1974. "Advertising as Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 729-754, July/Aug..
- David P. Myatt & Justin P. Johnson, 2004.
"On the Simple Economics of Advertising, Marketing, and Product Design,"
Economics Series Working Papers
185, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Justin P. Johnson & David P. Myatt, 2006. "On the Simple Economics of Advertising, Marketing, and Product Design," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 756-784, June.
- Anderson, Simon P & Ciliberto, Federico & Liaukonyte, Jura & Renault, Régis, 2012.
"Push-Me Pull-You: Comparative Advertising in the OTC Analgesics Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8988, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simon P. Anderson & Federico Ciliberto & Jura Liaukonyte & Régis Renault, 2015. "Push-Me Pull-You: Comparative Advertising in the OTC Analgesics Industry," CESifo Working Paper Series 5418, CESifo Group Munich.
- Anderson, Simon & Ciliberto, Federico & Liaukonyte, Jura & Renault, Regis, 2012. "Push-Me Pull-You: Comparative Advertising in the OTC Analgesics Industry," MPRA Paper 38626, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anderson, Simon P & Renault, Régis, 2005.
CEPR Discussion Papers
5064, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dirk Bergemann & Juuso VÃ¤limÃ¤ki, 2006. "Dynamic Pricing of New Experience Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(4), pages 713-743, August.
- Lewis, Tracy R & Sappington, David E M, 1994. "Supplying Information to Facilitate Price Discrimination," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(2), pages 309-327, May.
- Simon P. Anderson & Régis Renault, 2006. "comparative Advertising," THEMA Working Papers 2006-18, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Tülin Erdem & Michael P. Keane, 1996. "Decision-Making Under Uncertainty: Capturing Dynamic Brand Choice Processes in Turbulent Consumer Goods Markets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(1), pages 1-20.
- Alexander E. Saak, 2008. "THE VALUE OF PRIVATE INFORMATION IN MONOPOLY -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 169-189, 03.
- Kapil Bawa & Robert Shoemaker, 2004. "The Effects of Free Sample Promotions on Incremental Brand Sales," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(3), pages 345-363, November.
- Gene M. Grossman & Carl Shapiro, 1984. "Informative Advertising with Differentiated Products," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 63-81.
- Amir Heiman & Bruce McWilliams & Zhihua Shen & David Zilberman, 2001. "Learning and Forgetting: Modeling Optimal Product Sampling Over Time," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(4), pages 532-546, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jindec:v:60:y:2012:i:1:p:104-135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.