Do Real-Output and Real-Wage Measures Capture Reality? The History of Lighting Suggests Not
In: The Economics of New Goods
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- William D. Nordhaus, 1994. "Do Real Output and Real Wage Measures Capture Reality? The History of Lighting Suggests Not," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1078, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
References listed on IDEAS
- repec:ucp:bknber:9780226304557 is not listed on IDEAS
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, January.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1990. "The Measurement of Durable Goods Prices," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gord90-1.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1988. "The Early History of Price Index Research," NBER Working Papers 2713, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Lâ€™Ã©nergie renouvelable doit-elle Ãªtre gratuite ?
by ? in InternetActu.net on 2011-01-20 12:01:48
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raul Jimenez & Ariel Yépez-García, 2016. "Composition and Sensitivity of Residential Energy Consumption," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 95257, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Fouquet, Roger, 2016. "Lessons from energy history for climate policy: technological change, demand and economic development," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 67785, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Roger Fouquet & Peter J.G. Pearson, 2012.
"The Long Run Demand for Lighting:Elasticities and Rebound Effects in Different Phases of Economic Development,"
Economics of Energy & Environmental Policy, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1).
- Roger Fouquet & Peter J.G Pearson, 2011. "The Long Run Demand for Lighting: Elasticities and Rebound Effects in Different Phases of Economic Development," Working Papers 2011-06, BC3.
- Jonathan Hersh & Joachim Voth, 2009.
"Sweet diversity: Colonial goods and the rise of European living standards after 1492,"
Economics Working Papers
1163, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jan 2011.
- Hersh, Jonathan & Voth, Hans-Joachim, 2009. "Sweet Diversity: Colonial Goods and the Rise of European Living Standards after 1492," CEPR Discussion Papers 7386, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rühl, Christof & Appleby, Paul & Fennema, Julian & Naumov, Alexander & Schaffer, Mark, 2012. "Economic development and the demand for energy: A historical perspective on the next 20 years," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 109-116.
- Asger Moll Wingender, 2014. "Structural transformation in the 20th century: A new database on agricultural employment around the world," Discussion Papers 14-28, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Jedwab, Remi & Vollrath, Dietrich, 2015.
"Urbanization without growth in historical perspective,"
Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 1-21.
- Remi Jedwab & Dietrich Vollrath, 2015. "Urbanization without Growth in Historical Perspective," Working Papers 2015-7, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Warr, Benjamin & Ayres, Robert, 2006. "REXS: A forecasting model for assessing the impact of natural resource consumption and technological change on economic growth," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 329-378, September.
- Eamon Duede & Victor Zhorin, 2016. "Convergence of Economic Growth and the Great Recession as Seen From a Celestial Observatory," Papers 1604.04312, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2016.
- Lindgren, Mattias, 2015. "The elusive quest for the subsistence line How much does the cost of survival vary between populations?," MPRA Paper 73891, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sanderson, Susan Walsh & Simons, Kenneth L., 2014. "Light emitting diodes and the lighting revolution: The emergence of a solid-state lighting industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(10), pages 1730-1746.
- Roger Fouquet, 2012. "Economics of Energy and Climate Change: Origins, Developments and Growth," Working Papers 2012-08, BC3.
- Fouquet, Roger, 2014. "Long run demand for energy services: income and price elasticities over two hundred years," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 59070, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ayres, Robert U & Ayres, Leslie W & Warr, Benjamin, 2003. "Exergy, power and work in the US economy, 1900–1998," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 219-273.
- Roger Fouquet, 2013. "Long Run Demand for Energy Services: the Role of Economic and Technological Development," Working Papers 2013-03, BC3.
- Timma, Lelde & Bazbauers, Gatis & Bariss, Uldis & Blumberga, Andra & Blumberga, Dagnija, 2017. "Energy efficiency policy analysis using socio-technical approach and system dynamics. Case study of lighting in Latvia's households," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 109(C), pages 545-554.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 1994. "Computers and Output Growth Revisited: How Big Is the Puzzle?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(2), pages 273-334.
- Coccia, Mario, 2019. "The theory of technological parasitism for the measurement of the evolution of technology and technological forecasting," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 141(C), pages 289-304.
- Lundgren, Nils-Gustav, 1996. "Bulk trade and maritime transport costs : The evolution of global markets," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-2), pages 5-32.
- W. Michael Cox & Roy J. Ruffin, 1998. "What should economists measure? The implications of mass production vs. mass customization," Working Papers 9803, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Ayres, Robert U., 2007. "On the practical limits to substitution," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 115-128, February.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1995. "Price and Volume Measures in the System of National Accounts," NBER Working Papers 5103, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas W Davis, 2017. "Evidence of a decline in electricity use by U.S. households," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 37(2), pages 1098-1105.
- Hasan Bakhshi & Andrew Haldane & Neal Hatch, 1998. "Some costs and benefits of price stability in the UK," Bank of England working papers 78, Bank of England.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Jerry Hausman, 2002. "Sources of Bias and Solutions to Bias in the CPI," NBER Working Papers 9298, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Teklewold, Hailemariam, 2011. "Farming or burning? shadow prices and farmer’s impatience on the allocation of multi-purpose resource in the mixed farming system of Ethiopia," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116080, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Keller, Elisa, 2019. "Labor supply and gender differences in occupational choice," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 115(C), pages 221-241.
- Valerie Jarvis & S. J. Prais, 1997. "The Quality of Manufactured Products in Britain and Germany," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 421-438.
- DALEY Angela & GARNER Thesia & PHIPPS Shelley & SIERMINSKA Eva, 2020.
"Differences across Place and Time in Household Expenditure Patterns: Implications for the Estimation of Equivalence Scales,"
LISER Working Paper Series
- Angela Daley & Thesia Garner & Shelley Phipps & Eva Sierminska, 2020. "Differences across Place and Time in Household Expenditure Patterns: Implications for the Estimation of Equivalence Scales," LIS Working papers 781, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Lee, Jonq-Ying & Brown, Mark G. & Schwartz, Brooke, 1986. "The Demand For National Brand And Private Label Frozen Concentrated Orange Juice: A Switching Regression Analysis," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 11(1), pages 1-7, July.
- T.R.L. Fry & R.D. Brooks & Br. Comley & J. Zhang, 1993. "Economic Motivations for Limited Dependent and Qualitative Variable Models," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 69(2), pages 193-205, June.
- van de Ven, Justin, 2011.
"A structural dynamic microsimulation model of household savings and labour supply,"
Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 2054-2070, July.
- Dr Justin van de Ven, 2011. "A Structural Dynamic Microsimulation Model of Household Savings and Labour Supply," National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) Discussion Papers 385, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Andrew Foerster & Andreas Hornstein & Pierre-Daniel Sarte & Mark W. Watson, 2019.
"Aggregate Implications of Changing Sectoral Trends,"
NBER Working Papers
25867, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Foerster & Andreas Hornstein & Mark Watson & Pierre-Daniel Sarte, 2019. "Sectoral and Aggregate Structural Change," 2019 Meeting Papers 532, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Andrew Foerster & Andreas Hornstein & Pierre-Daniel G. Sarte & Mark W. Watson, 2019. "Aggregate Implications of Changing Sectoral Trends," Working Paper 19-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Bowker, James Michael & Starbuck, C. Meghan & English, Donald B.K. & Bergstrom, John C. & Rosenberger, Randall S. & McCollum, Daniel W., 2009. "Estimating the Net Economic Value of National Forest Recreation: An Application of the National Visitor Use Monitoring Database," Faculty Series 59603, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- David Colman, 2010. "Agriculture's terms of trade: issues and implications," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(s1), pages 1-15, November.
- Charles R. Hulten, 1992. "Growth Accounting When Technical Change is Embodied in Capital," NBER Working Papers 3971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hirte, Georg & Tscharaktschiew, Stefan, 2018. "The impact of anti-congestion policies and the role of labor-supply margins," CEPIE Working Papers 04/18, Technische Universität Dresden, Center of Public and International Economics (CEPIE).
- Brito Paulo & Marini Giancarlo & Piergallini Alessandro, 2016.
"House prices and monetary policy,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 20(3), pages 251-277, June.
- Paulo Brito & Giancarlo Marini & Alessandro Piergallini, 2012. "House Prices and Monetary Policy," CEIS Research Paper 250, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 01 Aug 2012.
- Brito, Paulo & Marini, Giancarlo & Piergallini, Alessandro, 2016. "House Prices and Monetary Policy," MPRA Paper 89577, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kim, H. Youn, 2017. "The permanent income hypothesis, transitional dynamics, and excess sensitivity of consumption," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 10-25.
- Smith, Lisa C. & Chavas, Jean-Paul, 1999. "Supply response of West African agricultural households," FCND discussion papers 69, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Colombino, Ugo & Narazani, Edlira, 2014.
"Closing the Gender Gap: Gender Based Taxation, Wage Subsidies or Basic Income?,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers
201412, University of Turin.
- Ugo Colombino & Edlira Narazani, 2018. "Closing the Gender Gap: Gender Based Taxation, Wage Subsidies or Basic Income?," JRC Working Papers on Taxation & Structural Reforms 2018-03, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Gregory J. Colman & Dahlia K. Remler, 2008.
"Vertical equity consequences of very high cigarette tax increases: If the poor are the ones smoking, how could cigarette tax increases be progressive?,"
Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(2), pages 376-400.
- Greg Colman & Dahlia K. Remler, 2004. "Vertical Equity Consequences of Very High Cigarette Tax Increases: If the Poor are the Ones Smoking, How Could Cigarette Tax Increases be Progressive?," NBER Working Papers 10906, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernard M. S. van Praag & Nico L. van der Sar, 1988.
"Household Cost Functions and Equivalence Scales,"
Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 23(2), pages 193-210.
- van Praag, B. M. S., 1985. "Household Cost Functions And Equivalence Scales," Econometric Institute Archives 272293, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- van Praag, B. M. S. & van der Sar, N. L., 1986. "Household Cost Functions And Equivalence Scales," Econometric Institute Archives 272358, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Junichi Minagawa & Thorsten Upmann, 2019. "Price Effects on Compound Commodities," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 121(2), pages 630-646, April.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberch:6064. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.