Sraffa's mathematical economics: a constructive interpretation
The claim in this paper is that Sraffa employed a rigorous logic of mathematical reasoning in his book, Production of Commodities by Means of Commodities (PCC), in such a way that the existence proofs were constructive. This is the kind of mathematics that was prevalent at the beginning of the nineteenth century, which was dominated by the concrete, the constructive and the algorithmic. It is, therefore, completely consistent with the economics of the nineteenth century, which was the fulcrum around which the economics of PCC was conceived.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RJEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RJEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sen, Amartya K, 1974. "On Some Debates in Capital Theory," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 41(163), pages 328-35, August.
- Desai, Meghnad & Ormerod, Paul, 1998. "Richard Goodwin: A Short Appreciation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(450), pages 1431-35, September.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1984.
" Economic Theory in the Mathematical Mode,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(4), pages 393-410.
- Doris M. Iklé, 1972. "A New Approach to the Index Number Problem," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 86(2), pages 188-211.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1991. "The Mathematization of Economic Theory," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 1-7, March.
- Guglielmo Chiodi, 1998. "On Non-self-replacing States," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 97-107, 02.
- Smale, Stephen, 1976. "Dynamics in General Equilibrium Theory," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 288-94, May.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1986. "Theoretical Models: Mathematical Forms and Economic Content," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1259-70, November.
- Hahn, Frank, 1982. "The Neo-Ricardians," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(4), pages 353-74, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jecmet:v:15:y:2008:i:4:p:325-342. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.