Non-audit fees, disclosure and audit quality
This paper investigates the effect of non-audit services on audit quality. Following the announcement of the requirement to disclose non-audit fees, approximately one-third of UK quoted companies disclosed before the requirement became effective. Whilst distressed companies were more likely to disclose early, auditor size, directors' shareholdings and non-audit fees were not significantly correlated with early disclosure. These results cast doubt on the view that voluntary disclosure of non-audit fees was used to signal audit quality. The evidence also indicates a positive weakly significant relationship between disclosed non-audit fees and audit qualifications. This suggests that when non-audit fees are disclosed, the provision of non-audit services does not reduce audit quality.
Volume (Year): 8 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REAR20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clive S. Lennox, 1999. "The Accuracy and Incremental Information Content of Audit Reports in Predicting Bankruptcy," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(5&6), pages 757-778.
- repec:bla:joares:v:32:y:1994:i::p:65-93 is not listed on IDEAS
- DeAngelo, Linda Elizabeth, 1981. "Auditor size and audit quality," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 183-199, December.
- Krishnan, Jagan & Stephens, Ray G., 1995. "Evidence on opinion shopping from audit opinion conservatism," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 179-201.
- Daron Acemoglu & Miles Gietzmann, 1998. "Auditor independence, incomplete contracts and the role of legal liability," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 355-375.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:euract:v:8:y:1999:i:2:p:239-252. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.