The optimality of the Common Fisheries Policy: the Northern Stock of Hake
We evaluate the management of the Northern Stock of Hake during 1986-2001. A stochastic bioeconomic model is calibrated to match the main features of this fishing ground. We show how catches, biomass stock and profits would have been if the optimal Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) consistent with the target biomass implied by the Fischler's Recovery Plan had been implemented. The main findings are: i) an optimal CFP would have generated profits of more than 667 millions euros, ii) if side-payments are allowed (implemented by ITQ's, for example) these profits increase 26%. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2006
Volume (Year): 8 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universidad del País Vasco; DFAE II; Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83; 48015 Bilbao; Spain|
Phone: +34 94 6013783
Fax: + 34 94 6013774
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10108/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Escapa, Marta & Gutierrez, Maria Jose, 1997. "Distribution of Potential Gains from International Environmental Agreements: The Case of the Greenhouse Effect," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-16, May.
- Eirik Amundsen & Trond Bjørndal & Jon Conrad, 1995. "Open access harvesting of the Northeast Atlantic minke whale," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(2), pages 167-185, September.
- Da Rocha, Jose Maria & Gutierrez, Maria Jose, 2004.
"La reforma del Principio de Estabilidad Relativa en la Política Pesquera Común: el caso del caladero norte de merluza
[The Reform of the Relative Stability Principle: the Northern Stock of Hake]," MPRA Paper 66099, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gallastegui, Carmen, 1983. "An economic analysis of sardine fishing in the Gulf of Valencia (Spain)," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 138-150, June.
- Danielsson, Asgeir, 2002. "Efficiency of Catch and Effort Quotas in the Presence of Risk," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 20-33, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:specre:v:8:y:2006:i:1:p:1-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.