Asymptotic expansions for the ability estimator in item response theory
Asymptotic approximations to the distributions of the ability estimator and its transformations in item response theory are derived beyond the usual normal one when associated item parameters are given as in tailored testing. For the approximations, the asymptotic cumulants of the estimators up to the fourth order with the higher-order asymptotic variances are obtained under possible model misspecification. For testing and interval estimation of abilities, the asymptotic cumulants of the pivots studentized in four ways are derived. Numerical examples with simulations including those for confidence intervals for abilities are given using the three-parameter logistic model. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 27 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/journal/180/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Bock & Murray Aitkin, 1981. "Marginal maximum likelihood estimation of item parameters: Application of an EM algorithm," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 443-459, December.
- Ogasawara, Haruhiko, 2010. "Asymptotic expansions for the pivots using log-likelihood derivatives with an application in item response theory," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(9), pages 2149-2167, October.
- Karl Klauer, 1991. "Exact and best confidence intervals for the ability parameter of the Rasch model," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 56(3), pages 535-547, September.
- Frederic Lord, 1983. "Unbiased estimators of ability parameters, of their variance, and of their parallel-forms reliability," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 233-245, June.
- Taniguchi, M. & Watanabe, Y., 1994. "Statistical Analysis of Curved Probability Densities," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 228-248, February.
- Haruhiko Ogasawara, 2009. "Asymptotic cumulants of the parameter estimators in item response theory," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 313-331, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:compst:v:27:y:2012:i:4:p:661-683. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.