Living with disease? Biosecurity and avian influenza in ostriches
This paper is about an avian influenza outbreak in South Africa’s commercial ostrich industry. The outbreak was managed according to international best practice and led to the destruction of 30,000 ostriches in two of South Africa’s provinces. However, the industry has a long history of managing low pathogenic avian influenza outbreaks in a different way. We use the 2004 outbreak and earlier approaches to managing disease to shed light on recent debates on how we might live differently with livestock diseases. The paper is based on in-depth interviews with farmers, veterinarians, scientists and agriculture officials. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2011
Volume (Year): 28 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10460|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steve Hinchliffe & Nick Bingham, 2008. "Securing life: the emerging practices of biosecurity," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 40(7), pages 1534-1551, July.
- Gareth Enticott, 2008. "The spaces of biosecurity: prescribing and negotiating solutions to bovine tuberculosis," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 40(7), pages 1568-1582, July.
- Nick Bingham & Gareth Enticott & Steve Hinchliffe, 2008. "Biosecurity: spaces, practices, and boundaries," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 40(7), pages 1528-1533, July.
- John Law, 2006. "Disaster in agriculture: or foot and mouth mobilities," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 38(2), pages 227-239, February.
- Andrew Donaldson, 2008. "Biosecurity after the event: risk politics and animal disease," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 40(7), pages 1552-1567, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:agrhuv:v:28:y:2011:i:2:p:153-165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.