Las exportaciones españolas de vino, 1986-2012: dinámicas gravitacionales
Spanish wine exports have experienced a great boom since Spain became a member of the EEC in 1986. The process was further stimulated by the 1994 Uruguay Round of GATT agreements, along with successive reforms of the CAP and the Common Market Organizations for wine in 1987, 1999 and 2008. In this symbiotic framework of integration and globalisation, Spanish wine destinations have changed dramatically in structure and characteristics. The logic of focussing exports on intra-EU markets has now combined with shifts toward other emerging destination countries. In this article we analyse the factors influencing changes in the gravity dynamics of Spanish wine exports and the importance of each variable. Destination markets have been grouped into five large categories that together represent 84% of total exports, and differences between wines with and without a protected designation of origin [denominación de origen protegida or DOP] have been analysed. The results indicate that Spain has experienced shifts in export gravity and developed as a price-competitive country, becoming an export leader in non-DOP wine. Simultaneously, Spanish wine has firmly established itself in traditional markets, has a higher average export price and has expanded its commercial dynamics to emerging markets outside the EU.
Volume (Year): (2014)
Issue (Month): 64 (december)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.seha.info/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedro José Pérez & José Ramón García & Luisa Escriche, 2005. "Importancia De Las Perturbaciones Externas En La Economía Española Tras La Integración: ¿Tamaño Del Shock O Grado De Respuesta?," Working Papers. Serie EC 2005-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter K. Schott, 2004. "Across-Product Versus Within-Product Specialization in International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(2), pages 647-678.
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- Juan Sebastián CAMPOS & Carolina LOZANO & Carlos Alberto CASTRO, 2005. "Un Modelo Gravitacional para la Agenda Interna," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 003684, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Carlucci, Domenico & De Blasi, Giuseppe & Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Seccia, Antonio, 2008. "New challenges and opportunities for Italian exports of table wines and high quality wines," MPRA Paper 8728, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert C. Feenstra & James R. Markusen & Andrew K. Rose, 2001. "Using the gravity equation to differentiate among alternative theories of trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(2), pages 430-447, May.
- Chang, Yuan-Ching & Polachek, Solomon W. & Robst, John, 2004. "Conflict and trade: the relationship between geographic distance and international interactions," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 491-509, September.
- repec:esr:wpaper:rsnote2012/3/1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrew K. Rose & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "National Money as a Barrier to International Trade: The Real Case for Currency Union," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 386-390, May.
- C. Martínez-Mongay & Marcos Sanso & Fernando Sanz, 1991. "Las importaciones españolas de manufacturas y la integración en la CEE," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 15(1), pages 121-141, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:seh:journl:y:2014:i:64:m:december:p:103-130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vicente Pinilla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.