Pricing-to-Market and Exchange Rate Dynamics: A Primer
This paper provides a graphical exposition for understanding Pricing-to-Market (PTM) from both the micro and macroeconomic points of view. In particular, the paper focuses on the microeconomic conditions necessary for firms to apply PTM, and on how monetary policy transmission mechanisms change when the economy is characterized by PTM, with special attention to its impact on exchange rates and other real variables. Finally, the paper attempts to determine whether, in presence of PTM, monetary policy is a beggar-thy-neighbor or prosper-thy-neighbor instrument.
Volume (Year): 96 (2006)
Issue (Month): 6 (November-December)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Betts, Caroline & Devereux, Michael B., 2000. "Exchange rate dynamics in a model of pricing-to-market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 215-244, February.
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Robert Feenstra & Paul Bergin, 2003.
"Pricing To Market, Staggered Contracts, And Real Exchange Rate Persistence,"
991, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Bergin, Paul R. & Feenstra, Robert C., 2001. "Pricing-to-market, staggered contracts, and real exchange rate persistence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 333-359, August.
- Paul R. Bergin & Robert C. Feenstra, 1999. "Pricing to Market, Staggered Contracts, and Real Exchange Rate Persistence," NBER Working Papers 7026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul R. Bergin & Robert C. Feenstra, "undated". "Pricing To Market, Staggered Contracts, And Real Exchange Rate Persistence," Department of Economics 99-01, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Engel, Charles, 1993.
"Real exchange rates and relative prices : An empirical investigation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 35-50, August.
- Charles Engel, 1992. "Real Exchange Rates and Relative Prices: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 4231, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lane, Philip R., 2001.
"The new open economy macroeconomics: a survey,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 235-266, August.
- Betts, Caroline & Devereux, Michael B., 1996. "The exchange rate in a model of pricing-to-market," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1007-1021, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rpo:ripoec:v:96:y:2006:i:6:p:105-143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.