The uneasy coexistence of the Spanish foral and common regional finance systems
This paper develops a model which integrates the foral or cupo system applied to the Basque Country and Navarre, the common system applied to the other fifteen Spanish autonomous communities and the central government budget. The model shows that the theoretical cupo it generates is nothing more than an indirect form of measuring the equalising transfer between the central government and the corresponding autonomous jurisdiction. The cupo form per se is completely neutral: the foral jurisdictions operate exactly under the same financial conditions as the non-foral jurisdictions, despite that in the latter case the transfer is directly measured as the difference between expenditure needs and fiscal capacity. In the context of our model, the cause of the foral economic advantage is the particular imputation procedure developed by the cupo law, which clearly biases the scales in favour of the foral and, therefore, against the non-foral communities. An economic advantage of the foral respect to the aggregate of the non-foral communities that, even if only referred to the design of the cupo, we have estimated at 29.8% in the case of the Basque Country and at 28.2% in the case on Navarre. These calculations should be interpreted as a lower bound on the foral advantage. The model has clear implications for reform.
Volume (Year): (2017)
Issue (Month): 37 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Viladomat, 321 entresuelo - 08029 Barcelona, Teléfono y Fax: + 34 933101112, E-mail: email@example.com, Web: www.aecr.org, Web Investigaciones Regionales: www.investigacionesregionales.org|
Phone: +34 93 310 11 12
Fax: +34 93 310 11 12
Web page: http://www.aecr.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antoni Zabalza & Julio López-Laborda, 2011.
"The new Spanish system of intergovernmental transfers,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 18(6), pages 750-786, December.
- Antoni Zabalza & Julio Lopez-Laborda, 2010. "The New Spanish System of Intergovernmental Transfers," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1033, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Antoni Zabalza & Julio Lopez-Laborda, 2011. "The New Spanish System of Intergovernmental Transfers," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1103, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Antoni Zabalza, 2012. "Una nota sobre el ajuste del IVA en el sistema foral de financiación: Marco analítico y propuesta de un nuevo mecanismo," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 202(3), pages 105-123, September.
- Carlos Monasterio Escudero, 2010. "Federalismo fiscal y sistema foral. ¿Un concierto desafinado?," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 192(1), pages 59-103, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:invreg:0342. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julieta Llungo-Ortíz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.