Factors Influencing the Efficiency of the Russian Banks Performance
The work gives the patterns of efficiency of the Russian banks performance using the models of stochastic production function. The efficiency of the banks operations is assessed by considering the following two factors: loan offerings and deposits attraction. The efficiency distribution analysis shows that the biggest share on the loan offering and deposit banking services market is occupied by the banks with average efficiency. It confirms the results obtained earlier by Caner and Kontorovich (2004). It is shown that from the second quarter of 2003 to the third quarter of 2004 the average banking system efficiency level rose both in terms of loan-offering and deposit attraction levels. Besides, the author analyzes the factors influencing the Russian banks operational efficiency. The work also identifies the level of stability of the calculated efficiency coefficients
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Broek, Julien van den & Forsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Meeusen, Wim, 1980. "On the estimation of deterministic and stochastic frontier production functions : A comparison," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 117-138, May.
- Williams, Jonathan & Nguyen, Nghia, 2005. "Financial liberalisation, crisis, and restructuring: A comparative study of bank performance and bank governance in South East Asia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2119-2154, August.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Marton, Katherin, 2000.
"Development and Efficiency of the Banking Sector in a Transitional Economy: Hungarian Experience,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2000, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Marton, Katherin, 2003. "Development and efficiency of the banking sector in a transitional economy: Hungarian experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2249-2271, December.
- Casu, Barbara & Girardone, Claudia & Molyneux, Philip, 2004. "Productivity change in European banking: A comparison of parametric and non-parametric approaches," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2521-2540, October.
- Barbara Casu & Philip Molyneux, 2000.
"A Comparative Study of Efficiency in European Banking,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
00-17, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Barbara Casu & Philip Molyneux, 2003. "A comparative study of efficiency in European banking," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(17), pages 1865-1876.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & McNulty, James E., 2003. "The profit efficiency of small US commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 307-325, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:apltrx:0057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anatoly Peresetsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.