Winners and Losers in Transition: Returns to Education, Experience, and Gender in Slovenia
This article, using an unusually rich data set on Slovenian workers over the 1987-91 period, explores changes in the structure of wages and employment produced by transition to a market economy. Employment and real wages fell dramatically over the period, but the losses were borne disproportionately by the least skilled. Across all sectors of the economy, relative wages and employment rose for the most-educated workers. Women gained in comparison with men, primarily because women occupied sectors less adversely affected by the transition. Pension policies, which encouraged retirement, are shown to have drastically reduced employment of experienced workers and helped contribute to rising returns to skill. Increases in returns to education and experience contributed to rising wage inequality, but the variance of wages increased for workers with identical skills as well. Copyright 1995 by Oxford University Press.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 9 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wber.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blau, Francine D & Kahn, Lawrence M, 1992. "The Gender Earnings Gap: Learning from International Comparisons," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 533-38, May.
- Mattila, J. Peter & Orazem, Peter & Weikum, Sherry K., 1992. "Comparable Worth and Factor Point Pay Analysis in State Government," Staff General Research Papers 10840, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Alan B. Krueger & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1995.
"A Comparative Analysis of East and West German Labor Markets: Before and After Unification,"
in: Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, pages 405-446
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan Krueger & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1992. "A Comparative Analysis of East and West German Labor Markets: Before and After Unification," Working Papers 686, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Alan B. Krueger & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1992. "A Comparative Analysis of East and West German Labor Markets: Before and After Unification," NBER Working Papers 4154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krueger, Alan B. & Pischke, Jörn-Steffen, 1992. "A comparative analysis of East and West German labor markets before and after unification," ZEW Discussion Papers 92-11, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Robert H. Topel, 1990.
"Specific Capital, Mobility, and Wages: Wages Rise with Job Seniority,"
NBER Working Papers
3294, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Topel, Robert H, 1991. "Specific Capital, Mobility, and Wages: Wages Rise with Job Seniority," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(1), pages 145-76, February.
- Vodopivec, Milan, 1992. "The effects of democratic determination of wages : theory and evidence from self-managed firms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 971, The World Bank.
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-42, June.
- Boris Pleskovic & Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1994. "Political Independence and Economic Reform in Slovenia," NBER Chapters, in: The Transition in Eastern Europe, Volume 1, pages 191-220 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levy, Frank & Murnane, Richard J, 1992. "U.S. Earnings Levels and Earnings Inequality: A Review of Recent Trends and Proposed Explanations," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(3), pages 1333-81, September.
- Edward J. Bird & Johannes Schwarze & Gert G. Wagner, 1992. "The Changing Value of Human Capital in Eastern Europe: Lessons from the GDR," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 55, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Alan B. Krueger & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986. "Reflections on the Inter-Industry Wage Structure," NBER Working Papers 1968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:wbecrv:v:9:y:1995:i:2:p:201-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.