The financial market impact of UK quantitative easing
After outlining some of the monetary developments associated with quantitative easing (QE), we measure the impact of the UK’s initial 2009–10 QE programme on bonds and other assets. First, we use a macro-finance yield curve both to create a counterfactual path for bond yields and to estimate the impact of QE directly. Second, we analyse the impact of individual QE operations on a range of asset prices. We find that QE significantly lowered government bond yields through the portfolio balance channel—by around 50 or so basis points. We also uncover significant effects of individual operations but limited pass-through to other assets. Copyright 2012, Oxford University Press.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch & S. Boragan Aruoba, 2004.
"The Macroeconomy and the Yield Curve: A Dynamic Latent Factor Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
10616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Rudebusch, Glenn D. & Borag[caron]an Aruoba, S., 2006. "The macroeconomy and the yield curve: a dynamic latent factor approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 309-338.
- Harald Hau & Massimo Massa & Joel Peress, 2010.
"Do Demand Curves for Currencies Slope Down? Evidence from the MSCI Global Index Change,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(4), pages 16811717-16, April.
- Hau, Harald & Massa, Massimo & Peress, Joël, 2005. "Do Demand Curves for Currencies Slope Down? Evidence from the MSCI Global Index Change," CEPR Discussion Papers 4862, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eric T. Swanson, 2011.
"Let’s twist again: a high-frequency event-study analysis of operation twist and its implications for QE2,"
Working Paper Series
2011-08, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Eric T. Swanson, 2011. "Let's Twist Again: A High-Frequency Event-study Analysis of Operation Twist and Its Implications for QE2," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 42(1 (Spring), pages 151-207.
- Eric T. Swanson, 2011. "Let's Twist Again: A High-Frequency Event-Study Analysis of Operation Twist and Its Implications for QE2," 2011 Meeting Papers 982, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-4," CEPR Discussion Papers 1051, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin, C. & Milas, C., 2012.
"Quantitative Easing:a Sceptical Survey,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
32987, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Nicola Anderson & John Sleath, 2001. "New estimates of the UK real and nominal yield curves," Bank of England working papers 126, Bank of England.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1994.
"Estimating and Interpreting Foreward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-1994,"
579, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates; Sweden 1992-1994," IMF Working Papers 94/114, International Monetary Fund.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992 - 1994," NBER Working Papers 4871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Farooq Ahmad & James Steeley, 2008. "Secondary market pricing behaviour around UK bond auctions," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(9), pages 691-699.
- Jonathan H. Wright, 2011. "What does Monetary Policy do to Long-Term Interest Rates at the Zero Lower Bound?," NBER Working Papers 17154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joyce, Michael & Lasaosa, Ana & Stevens , Ibrahim & Tong, Matthew, 2010. "The financial market impact of quantitative easing," Bank of England working papers 393, Bank of England.
- Diana Hancock & Wayne Passmore, 2011.
"Did the Federal Reserve's MBS purchase program lower mortgage rates?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2011-01, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hancock, Diana & Passmore, Wayne, 2011. "Did the Federal Reserve's MBS purchase program lower mortgage rates?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 498-514.
- Chadha,Jagjit S. & Holly,Sean (ed.), 2011. "Interest Rates, Prices and Liquidity," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107014732, October.
- Christopher J. Neely, 2010. "The large scale asset purchases had large international effects," Working Papers 2010-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- António Afonso & Manuel M. F. Martins, 2010. "Level, Slope, Curvature of Sovereign Yield Curve and Fiscal Behaviour," Working Papers Department of Economics 2010/23, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Matthew Raskin & Julie Remache & Brian P. Sack, 2010.
"Large-scale asset purchases by the Federal Reserve: did they work?,"
441, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Matthew Raskin & Julie Remache & Brian P. Sack, 2011. "Large-scale asset purchases by the Federal Reserve: did they work?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 41-59.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:oxford:v:28:y:2012:i:4:p:702-728. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.