Companies' Financial Decisions Under the Distributed Profit Taxation Regime of Estonia
This paper empirically analyzes companies' capital structure and dividend decisions under distributed profit taxation (DPT), Estonia's corporate taxation regime since 2000. The sample covers 26,000 observations of Estonian companies from 1995 to 2004. The results show that the DPT system has led companies to pay less in dividends and retain more profits. Simultaneously, the importance of external financing in companies' total capital has decreased. The undistributed profits appear to be partially retained as surplus cash, instead of being reinvested into long-term productive assets. DPT seems to support companies' liquidity and sustainability; however, the allocation of funds is potentially inefficient.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111024|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Funke, 2002. "Determining Taxation and Investment Impacts of Estonia's 2000 Income Tax Reform," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 102-109, Autumn.
- Michael Funke & Holger Strulik, 2006.
"Taxation, Growth and Welfare: Dynamic Effects of Estonia's 2000 Income Tax Act,"
Finnish Economic Papers,
Finnish Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 25-38, Spring.
- Funke, Michael & Strulik, Holger, 2003. "Taxation, growth and welfare : Dynamic effects of Estonia's 2000 income tax act," BOFIT Discussion Papers 10/2003, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Michael Funke & Holger Strulik, 2004. "Taxation, growth and welfare: Dynamic effects of Estonia’s 2000 income tax act," Macroeconomics 0401009, EconWPA.
- Michael Funke & Holger Strulik, 2003. "Taxation, Growth and Welfare: Dynamic Effects of Estonia´s 2000 Income Tax Act," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20304, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Funke & Holger Strulik, 2006. "Taxation, Growth and Welfare: Dynamic Effects of Estonia´s 2000 Income Tax Act," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20611, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Lewellen, Wilbur G. & Mauer, David C., 1988. "Tax Options and Corporate Capital Structures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(04), pages 387-400, December.
- Frankfurter, George M. & Wood, Bob Jr., 2002. "Dividend policy theories and their empirical tests," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 111-138.
- Aaro Hazak, 2006. "Dividend Decision under Distributed Profit Taxation: InvestorÃs Perspective," Working Papers 145, Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration, Tallinn University of Technology.
- Joan Farre-Mensa & Roni Michaely & Martin Schmalz, 2014. "Payout Policy," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 6(1), pages 75-134, December.
- Allen, Franklin & Michaely, Roni, 2003. "Payout policy," Handbook of the Economics of Finance,in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 337-429 Elsevier.
- Franklin Allen & Roni Michaely, 2002. "Payout Policy," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-21, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Michael Funke, 2002. "Determining the Taxation and Investment Impacts of Estonia´s 2000 Income Tax Reform," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20204, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-329, May.
- Sanjiva Prasad & Christopher J. Green & Victor Murinde, 2001. "Company Financing, Capital Structure, and Ownership: A Survey, and Implications for Developing Economies," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Sanjiva Prasad & Christopher J. Green & Victor Murinde, 2001. "Company Financing, Captial Structure, and Ownership: A Survey, and Implications for Developing Economies," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 12 edited by Morten Balling, April.
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411-411.
- Ronald C. Lease, & Kose John, & Avner Kalay, & Uri Loewenstein, & Oded H. Sarig,, 1999. "Dividend Policy:: Its Impact on Firm Value," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780875844978.
- Stewart C. Myers, 2001. "Capital Structure," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 81-102, Spring. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)