Searching for Positive Returns at the Track: A Multinomial Logit Model for Handicapping Horse Races
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Ruth N. Bolton & Randall G. Chapman, 2008. "Searching For Positive Returns At The Track: A Multinomial Logit Model For Handicapping Horse Races," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Efficiency Of Racetrack Betting Markets, chapter 17, pages 151-171 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
References listed on IDEAS
- Ian I. Mitroff, 1972. "The Myth of Objectivity OR Why Science Needs a New Psychology of Science," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(10), pages 613-618, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:pal:jorsoc:v:59:y:2008:i:10:d:10.1057_palgrave.jors.2602487 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lo Victor S & Bacon-Shone John, 2008. "Probability and Statistical Models for Racing," Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, De Gruyter, vol. 4(2), pages 1-14, April.
- Smith, Michael A. & Paton, David & Williams, Leighton Vaughan, 2009.
"Do bookmakers possess superior skills to bettors in predicting outcomes?,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 539-549, August.
- Michael A. Smith & David Paton & Leighton Vaughan Williams, 2009. "Do Bookmakers Possess Superior Skills to Bettors in Predicting Outcomes?," Post-Print hal-00684229, HAL.
- Stekler, H.O. & Sendor, David & Verlander, Richard, 2010. "Issues in sports forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 606-621, July.
- Ma, Tiejun & Tang, Leilei & McGroarty, Frank & Sung, Ming-Chien & Johnson, Johnnie E. V, 2016. "Time is money: Costing the impact of duration misperception in market prices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 255(2), pages 397-410.
- Kenneth L. Rhoda & Gerard T. Olson & Jack M. Rappaport, 1999. "Risk Preferences And Information Flows In Racetrack Betting Markets," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(3), pages 265-285, September.
- repec:eee:ecolet:v:156:y:2017:i:c:p:95-98 is not listed on IDEAS
- Vaughan Williams, Leighton, 1999. "Information Efficiency in Betting Markets: A Survey," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Vaughan Williams, Leighton & Stekler, Herman O., 2010. "Sports forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 445-447, July.
- Lessmann, Stefan & Sung, Ming-Chien & Johnson, Johnnie E.V. & Ma, Tiejun, 2012. "A new methodology for generating and combining statistical forecasting models to enhance competitive event prediction," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(1), pages 163-174.
- Stefani Ray, 2011. "The Methodology of Officially Recognized International Sports Rating Systems," Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, De Gruyter, vol. 7(4), pages 1-22, October.
- Lessmann, Stefan & Sung, Ming-Chien & Johnson, Johnnie E.V., 2009. "Identifying winners of competitive events: A SVM-based classification model for horserace prediction," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 569-577, July.
- del Corral, Julio & Prieto-Rodríguez, Juan, 2010. "Are differences in ranks good predictors for Grand Slam tennis matches?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 551-563, July.
- Strumbelj, E. & Sikonja, M. Robnik, 2010. "Online bookmakers' odds as forecasts: The case of European soccer leagues," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 482-488, July.
- Bernardo, Giovanni & Ruberti, Massimo & Verona, Roberto, 2015. "Testing semi-strong efficiency in a fixed odds betting market: Evidence from principal European football leagues," MPRA Paper 66414, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Alexander Munk, 2016. "High-Roller Impact: A Large Generalized Game Model of Parimutuel Wagering," Papers 1605.03653, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2017.
- Lessmann, Stefan & Sung, Ming-Chien & Johnson, Johnnie E.V., 2010. "Alternative methods of predicting competitive events: An application in horserace betting markets," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 518-536, July.
- Rosenbloom, E. S., 2003. "A better probability model for the racetrack using Beyer speed numbers," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 339-348, October.
More about this item
Keywordsmultinomial logit model; horse race wagering; stochastic utility model; ranked choice set data; discrete choice modeling;
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
- C7 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory
- B23 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Econometrics; Quantitative and Mathematical Studies
- F65 - International Economics - - Economic Impacts of Globalization - - - Finance
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:32:y:1986:i:8:p:1040-1060. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/inforea.html .
We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .