Did previous EU-enlargements change the regional distribution of production? An empirical analysis of three enlargement episodes
This paper analyses the effects of previous enlargements of the European Union (EU) on the regional structure of production. Focusing on regional development five years before and seven years after integration, we find relatively small and heterogeneous effects. For enlargement by Greece, a robust tendency towards decentralisation is found. For Southern enlargement, effects on border regions are significant for wages and employment, and for Northern enlargement, no significant effects are found. Finally, for nearby old member states, results are contradictory and are not robust to correction for potential bias arising from serial autocorrelation of the error term.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 3 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3/4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=97|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paluzie i Hernandez, Elisenda, 1999.
"Trade policy and regional inequalities,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa99pa231, European Regional Science Association.
- Elisenda Paluzie Hernandez, 1999. "Trade policy and regional inequalities," Working Papers in Economics 48, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Koenig Soubeyran, Pamina, 2004. "EU enlargement and the internal geography of countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 265-279, June.
- Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig, 2004. "EU Enlargement and the Internal Geography of Countries," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00096821, HAL.
- Hanson, Gordon H., 2001. "U.S.-Mexico Integration and Regional Economies: Evidence from Border-City Pairs," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 259-287, September.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1996. "U.S.-Mexico Integration and Regional Economies: Evidence from Border- City Pairs," NBER Working Papers 5425, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanson, Gordon H., 1998. "Regional adjustment to trade liberalization," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 419-444, July.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1994. "Regional Adjustment to Trade Liberalization," NBER Working Papers 4713, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul & Elizondo, Raul Livas, 1996. "Trade policy and the Third World metropolis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 137-150, April.
- Raul Livas Elizondo & Paul Krugman, 1992. "Trade Policy and the Third World Metropolis," NBER Working Papers 4238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Monfort, Philippe & Nicolini, Rosella, 2000. "Regional Convergence and International Integration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 286-306, September.
- Monfort, Philippe & Nicolini, Rosella, 1998. "Regional Convergence and International Integration," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1998022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Frédéric Robert-Nicoud, 2006. "The 'genome' of NEG models with vertical linkages: a positive and normative synthesis," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 113-139, April.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Robert-Nicoud, Frédéric, 2004. "The 'Genome' of NEG Models with Vertical Linkages: A Positive and Normative Synthesis," CEPR Discussion Papers 4600, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Stiller, Silvia, 2002. "Integration effects in border regions : a survey of economic theory and empirical studies," HWWA Discussion Papers 179, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Stiller, Silvia, 2002. "Integration effects in border regions - a survey of economic theory and empirical studies," ERSA conference papers ersa02p066, European Regional Science Association.
- Hanson, Gordon H, 1996. "Localization Economies, Vertical Organization, and Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1266-1278, December.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1994. "Localization Economies, Vertical Organization and Trade," NBER Working Papers 4744, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-In-Differences Estimates?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 249-275.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?," NBER Working Papers 8841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thiess Buettner & Johannes Rincke, 2007. "Labor Market Effects of Economic Integration: The Impact of Re-Unification in German Border Regions," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8, pages 536-560, November.
- Thiess Büttner & Johannes Rincke, 2004. "Labor Market Effects of Economic Integration - The Impact of Re-Unification in German Border Regions," CESifo Working Paper Series 1179, CESifo Group Munich.
- Barjak, Franz & Heimpold, Gerhard, 1999. "Development Problems and Policies at the German Border with Poland," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa136, European Regional Science Association. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijpubp:v:3:y:2008:i:3/4:p:187-206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Darren Simpson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.