Did previous EU-enlargements change the regional distribution of production? An empirical analysis of three enlargement episodes
This paper analyses the effects of previous enlargements of the European Union (EU) on the regional structure of production. Focusing on regional development five years before and seven years after integration, we find relatively small and heterogeneous effects. For enlargement by Greece, a robust tendency towards decentralisation is found. For Southern enlargement, effects on border regions are significant for wages and employment, and for Northern enlargement, no significant effects are found. Finally, for nearby old member states, results are contradictory and are not robust to correction for potential bias arising from serial autocorrelation of the error term.
Volume (Year): 3 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3/4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=97|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Monfort, Philippe & Nicolini, Rosella, 1998.
"Regional Convergence and International Integration,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1998022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Monfort, Philippe & Nicolini, Rosella, 2000. "Regional Convergence and International Integration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 286-306, September.
- Thiess Büttner & Johannes Rincke, 2004.
"Labor Market Effects of Economic Integration - The Impact of Re-Unification in German Border Regions,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1179, CESifo Group Munich.
- Thiess Buettner & Johannes Rincke, 2007. "Labor Market Effects of Economic Integration: The Impact of Re-Unification in German Border Regions," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8, pages 536-560, November.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Koenig Soubeyran, Pamina, 2004.
"EU enlargement and the internal geography of countries,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 265-279, June.
- Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig, 2004. "EU Enlargement and the Internal Geography of Countries," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00096821, HAL.
- Hanson, Gordon H., 2001.
"U.S.-Mexico Integration and Regional Economies: Evidence from Border-City Pairs,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 259-287, September.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1996. "U.S.-Mexico Integration and Regional Economies: Evidence from Border- City Pairs," NBER Working Papers 5425, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raul Livas Elizondo & Paul Krugman, 1992.
"Trade Policy and the Third World Metropolis,"
NBER Working Papers
4238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Stiller, Silvia, 2002.
"Integration effects in border regions : a survey of economic theory and empirical studies,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
179, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Stiller, Silvia, 2002. "Integration effects in border regions - a survey of economic theory and empirical studies," ERSA conference papers ersa02p066, European Regional Science Association.
- Hanson, Gordon H, 1996.
"Localization Economies, Vertical Organization, and Trade,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1266-1278, December.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1994. "Localization Economies, Vertical Organization and Trade," NBER Working Papers 4744, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elisenda Paluzie Hernandez, 1999.
"Trade policy and regional inequalities,"
Working Papers in Economics
48, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1994.
"Regional Adjustment to Trade Liberalization,"
NBER Working Papers
4713, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002.
"How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?,"
NBER Working Papers
8841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-In-Differences Estimates?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 249-275.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Frédéric Robert-Nicoud, 2006.
"The 'genome' of NEG models with vertical linkages: a positive and normative synthesis,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 113-139, April.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Robert-Nicoud, Frédéric, 2004. "The 'Genome' of NEG Models with Vertical Linkages: A Positive and Normative Synthesis," CEPR Discussion Papers 4600, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barjak, Franz & Heimpold, Gerhard, 1999. "Development Problems and Policies at the German Border with Poland," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa136, European Regional Science Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijpubp:v:3:y:2008:i:3/4:p:187-206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Darren Simpson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.