Value relevance of alternative methods of accounting for actuarial gains and losses
In 2010, IASB published an exposure draft about defined benefit plans where it proposed to eliminate the deferred recognition of actuarial gains and losses. IASB aimed to make fundamental improvements to the recognition, presentation and disclosures of defined benefit plans by mid-2011. To shed light on the debate on the recognition of actuarial gains and losses of defined benefit plans, this paper investigates the value relevance of financial information under three alternative methods of recognising actuarial gains and losses allowed by IAS 19: employee benefits (2004): the profit or loss method, the equity recognition method and the corridor method. Findings suggest that the equity recognition method, i.e., the recognition of all actuarial gains and losses in equity, best reflects the market's valuation of actuarial gains and losses of defined benefit plans.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 8 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=41|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julia Lynn Coronado & Steven A. Sharpe, 2003.
"Did pension plan accounting contribute to a stock market bubble?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2003-38, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Julia Lynn Coronado & Steven A. Sharpe, 2003. "Did Pension Plan Accounting Contribute to a Stock Market Bubble?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(1), pages 323-371.
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Watts, Ross L., 2001. "The relevance of the value-relevance literature for financial accounting standard setting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 3-75, September.
- Matthias Amen, 2007. "Simulation-Based Comparison of Existent IAS 19 Accounting Options," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 243-276.
- Coronado, Julia & Mitchell, Olivia S. & Sharpe, Steven A. & Blake Nesbitt, S., 2008.
"Footnotes aren't enough: the impact of pension accounting on stock values,"
Journal of Pension Economics and Finance,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 257-276, November.
- Julia Coronado & Olivia S. Mitchell & Steven A. Sharpe & S. Blake Nesbitt, 2008. "Footnotes Aren't Enough: The Impact of Pension Accounting on Stock Values," NBER Working Papers 13726, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Julia Coronado & Olivia S. Mitchell & Steven A. Sharpe & S. Blake Nesbitt, 2008. "Footnotes aren’t enough: the impact of pension accounting on stock values," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2008-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Clara Severinson, 2008. "Accounting for Defined Benefit Plans: An International Comparison of Exchange-Listed Companies," OECD Working Papers on Insurance and Private Pensions 23, OECD Publishing.
- Barth, Mary E. & Beaver, William H. & Landsman, Wayne R., 2001. "The relevance of the value relevance literature for financial accounting standard setting: another view," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 77-104, September.
- Barth, Mary E. & Beaver, William H. & Landsman, Wayne R., 1992. "The market valuation implications of net periodic pension cost components," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 27-62, March.
- Hann, Rebecca N. & Heflin, Frank & Subramanayam, K.R., 2007. "Fair-value pension accounting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 328-358, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijaape:v:8:y:2012:i:1:p:69-90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.