Job Creation in Italy: Geography, Determinants and Perspectives
The extremely large disparities in employment rates across Italian regions, and the bad performance of the Italian economy in terms of job creation in the 80's and early 90's make job creation a top-priority in the economic policy agenda. This paper uses data on employment from 784 Local Labor Systems (LLS's) covering the whole Italian territory to analyze job creation and its covariates for the 1981-1996 period. Local agglomeration economies, in particular input-output linkages, social characteristics, in particular the crime rate, and infrastructure growth are found to be important determinants of employment growth across Italian LLS's. Using these estimates and data relative to 1996, we assess the potential for job creation in the LLS's for the next decade. The Northeast still proves to be the area with strongest potentials, while in the South, Abruzzi and Northern Campania are the areas best equipped for filling their gap with the North.
Volume (Year): 60 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.gde.unibocconi.it/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.gde.unibocconi.it Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guy Dumais & Glenn Ellison & Edward L. Glaeser, 2002.
"Geographic Concentration As A Dynamic Process,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 193-204, May.
- Guy Dumais & Glenn Ellison & Edward Glaeser, 1997. "Geographic Concentration as a Dynamic Process," NBER Working Papers 6270, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guy Dumais & Glenn Ellison & Edward L Glaeser, 1998. "Geographic Concentration as a Dynamic Process," Working Papers 98-3, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Krugman, Paul R & Venables, Anthony J, 1995.
"Globalization and the Inequality of Nations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 857-80, November.
- Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 1995. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," NBER Working Papers 5098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J, 1994. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," CEPR Discussion Papers 1015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J., 1995. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," Working Paper Series 430, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Jonathan Temple & Paul A. Johnson, 1998. "Social Capability And Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(3), pages 965-990, August.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Marimon, Ramon & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 1996.
"'Actual' versus 'Virtual' Employment in Europe: Is Spain Different?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1427, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marimon, Ramon & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 1998. "'Actual' versus 'virtual' employment in Europe Is Spain different?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 123-153, January.
- Lucio Picci, 1995.
"Productivity and Infrastructure in the Italian Regions,"
230, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Lucio Picci, 1999. "Productivity and Infrastructure in the Italian Regions," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 58(3-4), pages 329-353, December.
- Giovanni Peri & Alejandro Cunat, 2001.
"Job Creation in Italy: Geography, Determinants and Perspectives,"
Giornale degli Economisti,
GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 60(1), pages 43-74, June.
- Peri, Giovanni & Cuñat, Alejandro, 2001. "Job creation in Italy : geography, determinants and perspectives," HWWA Discussion Papers 133, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Paci, Raffaele & Pigliaru, Francesco, 1997. "Structural change and convergence: an Italian regional perspective," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 297-318, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gde:journl:gde_v60_n1_p43-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erika Somma)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.