Rapid Development of Microsatellite Markers for Plantago ovata Forsk.: Using Next Generation Sequencing and Their Cross-Species Transferability
Isabgol ( Plantago ovata Forsk.) is an important medicinal plant having high pharmacological activity in its seed husk, which is substantially used in the food, beverages and packaging industries. Nevertheless, isabgol lags behind in research, particularly for genomic resources, like molecular markers, genetic maps, etc. Presently, molecular markers can be easily developed through next generation sequencing technologies, more efficiently, cost effectively and in less time than ever before. This study was framed keeping in view the need to develop molecular markers for this economically important crop by employing a microsatellite enrichment protocol using a next generation sequencing platform (ion torrent PGMâ„¢) to obtain simple sequence repeats (SSRs) for Plantago ovata for the very first time. A total of 3447 contigs were assembled, which contained 249 SSRs. Thirty seven loci were randomly selected for primer development; of which, 30 loci were successfully amplified. The developed microsatellite markers showed the amplification of the expected size and cross-amplification in another six species of Plantago. The SSR markers were unable to show polymorphism within P. ovata , suggesting that low variability exists within genotypes of P. ovata . This study suggests that PGMâ„¢ sequencing is a rapid and cost-effective tool for developing SSR markers for non-model species, and the markers so-observed could be useful in the molecular breeding of P. ovata .
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- anonymous, 1990. "Agriculture: bank lending," Cross Sections, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue fall, pages 15.
- repec:inr:wpaper:141662 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:inr:wpaper:162122 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anonymous, 1990. "Contents of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 4," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 4(3-4), December.
- Anonymous, 1990. "World Agriculture: Trends and Indicators, 1970-89," Statistical Bulletin 154720, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Ellman M, 1990. "Soviet agriculture: reforms and their implications," ILO Working Papers 273363, International Labour Organization.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jagris:v:4:y:2014:i:2:p:199-216:d:37357. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XML Conversion Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.