Modeling long-term memory effect in stock prices: A comparative analysis with GPH test and Daubechies wavelets
Purpose – This paper, using Turkish stock index data, set outs to present long-term memory effect using chaotic and conventional unit root tests and investigate if chaotic technique as wavelets captures long-memory better than conventional techniques. Design/methodology/approach – Haar and Daubechies as wavelet-based OLS estimator and GPH and other classical models are applied in order to investigate the performance of long memory in the time series. Findings – The results indicate that Daubechies wavelet analysis provide the accurate determination for long memory where conventional techniques does not. Originality/value – The research results have both methodological and practical originality. On the theoretical side, the wavelet-based OLS estimator is superior in modeling the behaviours of the stock returns in emerging markets where non-linearities and high volatility exist due to their chaotic natures. For practical aims, on the other hand, the results show that the Istanbul Stock Exchange is not in the weak-form efficient because the prices have memories that are not reflected in the prices, yet.
Volume (Year): 25 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=sef Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tkacz Greg, 2001.
"Estimating the Fractional Order of Integration of Interest Rates Using a Wavelet OLS Estimator,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-15, April.
- Tkacz, Greg, 2000. "Estimating the Fractional Order of Integration of Interest Rates Using a Wavelet OLS Estimator," Working Papers 00-5, Bank of Canada.
- Patrick M. Crowley, 2005.
"An intuitive guide to wavelets for economists,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Barkoulas, John T. & Baum, Christopher F., 1996.
"Long-term dependence in stock returns,"
Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 253-259, December.
- Erhan Bayraktar & H. Vincent Poor & Ronnie Sircar, 2007. "Estimating the Fractal Dimension of the S&P 500 Index using Wavelet Analysis," Papers math/0703834, arXiv.org.
- Nason, G.P. & von Sachs, R., 1999. "Wavelets in Time Series Analysis," Papers 9901, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1990. "The Fractional Unit Root Distribution," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 495-505, March.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1997.
"An Alternative Maximum Likelihood Estimator of Long-Memeory Processes Using Compactly Supported Wavelets,"
- Jensen, Mark J., 2000. "An alternative maximum likelihood estimator of long-memory processes using compactly supported wavelets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 361-387, March.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2002. "An Introduction to Wavelets for Economists," Working Papers 02-3, Bank of Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:sefpps:v:25:y:2008:i:1:p:38-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.