The diffusion of process innovations in industrialized and developing countries: A case study of the world textile and steel industries
This paper tests the hypothesis that industrial process innovations diffuse more slowly in developing countries than in industrialized countries. The focus of the analysis is on four innovations in the textile and steel industries, selected according to data availability. The analysis uses a variable coefficient regression model, based on an S-shaped diffusion curve. It is found that, overall, the level of economic development had only a modest impact on the adoption of innovations. At a more disaggregated level of analysis, its (limited) impact was related to both the characteristics of the technology, and to the firm structure of the respective industry.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lücke, Matthias, 1992. "Technischer Fortschritt und die Arbeitsteilung zwischen Industrie- und Entwicklungsländern: eine empirische Analyse," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 758, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1978. "A Note on a Random Coefficients Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(3), pages 793-796, October.
- Lapan, Harvey E., 1975. "The possibility of reversing the trade pattern with internationally-diffused localized technical progress," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 289-298, August.
- Beach, Charles M & MacKinnon, James G, 1978. "A Maximum Likelihood Procedure for Regression with Autocorrelated Errors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 51-58, January.
- Silverberg, Gerald & Dosi, Giovanni & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1988. "Innovation, Diversity and Diffusion: A Self-organisation Model," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1032-54, December.
- Summers, Robert & Heston, Alan, 1988. "A New Set of International Comparisons of Real Product and Price Levels Estimates for 130 Countries, 1950-1985," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 34(1), pages 1-25, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:21:y:1993:i:7:p:1225-1238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.