Definition and probabilistic properties of skew-distributions
The univariate and multivariate skew-normal distributions have a number of intriguing properties. It is shown here that these hold for a general class of distributions, defined in terms of independence conditions on signs and absolute values. For this class, two stochastic representations become equivalent, one using conditioning on the positivity of a random vector and the other employing a vector of absolute values. General methods for computing moments and for obtaining the density function of a general skew-distribution are given. The case of spherical and elliptical distributions is briefly discussed.
Volume (Year): 58 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Branco, Márcia D. & Dey, Dipak K., 2001. "A General Class of Multivariate Skew-Elliptical Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 99-113, October.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Cambanis, Stamatis & Huang, Steel & Simons, Gordon, 1981. "On the theory of elliptically contoured distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 368-385, September.
- A. Azzalini & A. Capitanio, 1999. "Statistical applications of the multivariate skew normal distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(3), pages 579-602.
- Genton, Marc G. & He, Li & Liu, Xiangwei, 2001. "Moments of skew-normal random vectors and their quadratic forms," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 319-325, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:58:y:2002:i:2:p:111-121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.