The law of large numbers with exceptional sets
We investigate the law of large numbers with exceptional n-sets, i.e. when the theorem is required to hold only for almost all n, in the sense of a suitable measure on the integers. We prove the surprising result that in the presence of such exceptional sets, the weak and strong laws of large numbers become equivalent. We also give necessary and sufficient criteria for the validity of such laws.
Volume (Year): 55 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description |
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berkes, István & Csáki, Endre, 2001. "A universal result in almost sure central limit theory," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 105-134, July.
- Fahrner, I. & Stadtmüller, U., 1998. "On almost sure max-limit theorems," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 229-236, March.
- Marcus, Michael B. & Rosen, Jay, 1995. "Logarithmic averages for the local times of recurrent random walks and Lévy processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 175-184, October.
- Horvath, Lajos & Khoshnevisan, Davar, 1995. "Weight functions and pathwise local central limit theorems," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 105-123, September.
- Ibragimov, Ildar & Lifshits, Mikhail, 1998. "On the convergence of generalized moments in almost sure central limit theorem," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 343-351, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:55:y:2001:i:4:p:431-438. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.