Interplay between social debate and propaganda in an opinion formation model
We introduce a simple model of opinion dynamics in which a two-state agent modified Sznajd model evolves due to the simultaneous action of stochastic driving and a periodic signal. The stochastic effect mimics a social temperature, so the agents may adopt decisions in support for or against some opinion or position, according to a modified Sznajd rule with a varying probability. The external force represents a simplified picture by which society feels the influence of the external effects of propaganda. By means of Monte Carlo simulations we have shown the dynamical interplay between the social condition or mood and the external influence, finding a stochastic resonance-like phenomenon when we depict the noise-to-signal ratio as a function of the social temperature. In addition, we have also studied the effects of the system size and the external signal strength on the opinion formation dynamics.
Volume (Year): 392 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katarzyna Sznajd-Weron & Józef Sznajd, 2000.
"Opinion Evolution In Closed Community,"
International Journal of Modern Physics C (IJMPC),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(06), pages 1157-1165.
- Katarzyna Sznajd-Weron & Jozef Sznajd, 2000. "Opinion evolution in closed community," HSC Research Reports HSC/00/04, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Tessone, Claudio J. & Toral, Raúl, 2005. "System size stochastic resonance in a model for opinion formation," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 351(1), pages 106-116.
- Galam, Serge, 2004. "Contrarian deterministic effects on opinion dynamics: “the hung elections scenario”," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 333(C), pages 453-460.
- Stauffer, D. & Sá Martins, J.S., 2004. "Simulation of Galam's contrarian opinions on percolative lattices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 334(3), pages 558-565. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:392:y:2013:i:1:p:278-286. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.