On social welfare functionals: Representation theorems and equivalence classes
We substantially weaken the traditional unrestricted domain assumption and give axiomatic characterizations of social welfare functionals representable by utility functions of the form , where is a utility profile specifying a concrete welfare situation, and W is a real-valued function belonging to a particular class. Also we consider general equivalence relations on the utility space and obtain representation theorems on utility equivalence classes.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sen, Amartya K, 1977. "On Weights and Measures: Informational Constraints in Social Welfare Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(7), pages 1539-72, October.
- Maskin, Eric, 1978. "A Theorem on Utilitarianism," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 93-96, February.
- Levin, V. L., 1991. "Some applications of set-valued mappings in mathematical economics," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 69-87.
- Georges Bordes & Peter J. Hammond & Michel Le Breton, 2005.
"Social Welfare Functionals on Restricted Domains and in Economic Environments,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 7(1), pages 1-25, 02.
- Georges Bordes & Peter J. Hammond & Michel Le Breton, 1997. "Social Welfare Functionals on Restricted Domains and in Economic Environments," Working Papers 97023, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Levin, Vladimir L., 2009. "New axiomatic characterizations of utilitarianism," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 15-24, July.
- Roberts, Kevin W S, 1980. "Social Choice Theory: The Single-profile and Multi-profile Approaches," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 441-50, January.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & GEVERS, Louis, .
"Equity and the informational basis of collective choice,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-350, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Gevers, Louis, 1977. "Equity and the Informational Basis of Collective Choice," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 199-209, June.
- Roberts, Kevin W S, 1980. "Interpersonal Comparability and Social Choice Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 421-39, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521791021 is not listed on IDEAS
- Neuefeind, Wilhelm & Trockel, Walter, 1995.
"Continuous Linear Representability of Binary Relations,"
Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 351-56, July.
- Wilhelm Neuefeind & Walter Trockel, 1994. "Continuous Linear Representability of Binary Relations," Game Theory and Information 9405002, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:59:y:2010:i:3:p:299-305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.