New axiomatic characterizations of utilitarianism
We give new axiomatic characterizations of utilitarianism in the absence of the unrestricted domain assumption, examine independence of proposed axioms, and discuss connections between our axioms and the known ones.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Maskin, 1978. "A Theorem on Utilitarianism," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 45(1), pages 93-96.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & GEVERS, Louis, .
"Equity and the informational basis of collective choice,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
350, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Claude D'Aspremont & Louis Gevers, 1977. "Equity and the Informational Basis of Collective Choice," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(2), pages 199-209.
- Neuefeind, Wilhelm & Trockel, Walter, 1995.
"Continuous Linear Representability of Binary Relations,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 6(2), pages 351-56, July.
- Wilhelm Neuefeind & Walter Trockel, 1994. "Continuous Linear Representability of Binary Relations," Game Theory and Information 9405002, EconWPA.
- Gevers, Louis, 1979. "On Interpersonal Comparability and Social Welfare Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 75-89, January.
- Kevin W. S. Roberts, 1980. "Interpersonal Comparability and Social Choice Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(2), pages 421-439.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:58:y:2009:i:1:p:15-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.