Median Balls: An Extension of the Interquantile Intervals to Multivariate Distributions
For a probability distribution on a Banach space, we introduce a family of central balls, indexed by their radius, using a proximity criterion close to those defining the spatial median. It is shown that these balls possess robustness and equivariance properties similar to those of the spatial median. They provide a multivariate generalization of the real interquantile intervals and can be interpreted as trimmed regions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 63 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eaton, Morris L. & Perlman, Michael D., 1991. "Concentration inequalities for multivariate distributions: I. multivariate normal distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 487-504, December.
- Giovagnoli, Alessandra & Wynn, H. P., 1995. "Multivariate dispersion orderings," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 325-332, March.
- Abdous, B. & Theodorescu, R., 1992. "Note on the spatial quantile of a random vector," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 333-336, March.
- Oja, Hannu, 1983. "Descriptive statistics for multivariate distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(6), pages 327-332, October.
- Masse, J. C. & Theodorescu, R., 1994. "Halfplane Trimming for Bivariate Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 188-202, February.
- Nolan, D., 1992. "Asymptotics for multivariate trimming," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 157-169, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:63:y:1997:i:2:p:222-241. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.