The time to ruin and the number of claims until ruin for phase-type claims
We consider a renewal risk model with phase-type claims, and obtain an explicit expression for the joint transform of the time to ruin and the number of claims until ruin, with a penalty function applied to the deficit at ruin. The approach is via the duality between a risk model with phase-type claims and a particular single server queueing model with phase-type customer interarrival times; see Frostig (2004). This result specializes to one for the probability generating function of the number of claims until ruin. We obtain explicit expressions for the distribution of the number of claims until ruin for exponentially distributed claims when the inter-claim times have an Erlang-n distribution.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borovkov, Konstantin A. & Dickson, David C.M., 2008. "On the ruin time distribution for a Sparre Andersen process with exponential claim sizes," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1104-1108, June.
- Landriault, David & Shi, Tianxiang & Willmot, Gordon E., 2011. "Joint densities involving the time to ruin in the Sparre Andersen risk model under exponential assumptions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 371-379.
- Landriault, David & Willmot, Gordon, 2008. "On the Gerber-Shiu discounted penalty function in the Sparre Andersen model with an arbitrary interclaim time distribution," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 600-608, April.
- Ahn, Soohan & Badescu, Andrei L., 2007. "On the analysis of the Gerber-Shiu discounted penalty function for risk processes with Markovian arrivals," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 234-249, September.
- Dickson, David C.M. & Li, Shuanming, 2010. "Finite time ruin problems for the Erlang(2) risk model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 12-18, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:51:y:2012:i:1:p:19-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.