Influence diagnostics in generalized symmetric linear models
The aim of this paper is to introduce generalized symmetric linear models (GSLMs) in the same sense of generalized linear models (GLMs), in which a link function is defined to establish a relationship between the mean values of symmetric distributions and linear predictors. The class of symmetric distributions contains various distributions with lighter and heavier tails than normal and hence offers a more flexible basis for analyzing symmetric data. An iteratively reweighed least squares (IRLS) algorithm is derived to obtain maximum likelihood estimates. The local influence methodology is applied to study the sensitivity of the maximum likelihood estimates under some usual perturbation schemes, such as case-weight, response variable, continuous explanatory variable and scale parameter perturbations. We also discuss generalized leverage and residual analysis. Finally, an illustration is given in which the methodology developed in this paper is applied to a real data set.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 59 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cambanis, Stamatis & Huang, Steel & Simons, Gordon, 1981. "On the theory of elliptically contoured distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 368-385, September.
- Galea, Manuel & Paula, Gilberto A. & Cysneiros, Francisco José A., 2005. "On diagnostics in symmetrical nonlinear models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(4), pages 459-467, July.
- Manuel Galea & Gilberto Paula & Miguel Uribe-Opazo, 2003. "On influence diagnostic in univariate elliptical linear regression models," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 23-45, January.
- Cysneiros, Francisco José A. & Paula, Gilberto A. & Galea, Manuel, 2007. "Heteroscedastic symmetrical linear models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(11), pages 1084-1090, June.
- Gilberto Paula & Francisco Jose Cysneiros, 2009. "Systematic risk estimation in symmetric models," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 217-221.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:59:y:2013:i:c:p:161-170. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.