Exact statistical power for response adaptive designs
This paper develops a unified method to compute the exact statistical power for a general class of response adaptive designs including the randomized play-the-winner design, the drop-the-loser design, and the doubly biased coin design. The adaptation of treatment allocation in response adaptive designs is formulated as a Markov chain. The exact statistical power is computed based on the transition probability of the formulated Markov chain. The proposed approach is demonstrated through the ECMO trial example. The difference between the asymptotic and exact statistical power is also explored for large sample sizes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lanju Zhang & William F. Rosenberger, 2006. "Response-Adaptive Randomization for Clinical Trials with Continuous Outcomes," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 562-569, 06.
- Hu, Feifang & Rosenberger, William F., 2003. "Optimality, Variability, Power: Evaluating Response-Adaptive Randomization Procedures for Treatment Comparisons," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 671-678, January.
- Michael A. Proschan & Martha Nason, 2009. "Conditioning in 2 × 2 Tables," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 65(1), pages 316-322, 03.
- William F. Rosenberger & Nigel Stallard & Anastasia Ivanova & Cherice N. Harper & Michelle L. Ricks, 2001. "Optimal Adaptive Designs for Binary Response Trials," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 909-913, 09.
- Yi, Yanqing & Wang, Xikui, 2007. "Goodness-of-fit test for response adaptive clinical trials," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(10), pages 1014-1020, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:58:y:2013:i:c:p:201-209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.