Robust mixture modeling based on scale mixtures of skew-normal distributions
A flexible class of probability distributions, convenient for modeling data with skewness behavior, discrepant observations and population heterogeneity is presented. The elements of this family are convex linear combinations of densities that are scale mixtures of skew-normal distributions. An EM-type algorithm for maximum likelihood estimation is developed and the observed information matrix is obtained. These procedures are discussed with emphasis on finite mixtures of skew-normal, skew-t, skew-slash and skew contaminated normal distributions. In order to examine the performance of the proposed methods, some simulation studies are presented to show the advantage of this flexible class in clustering heterogeneous data and that the maximum likelihood estimates based on the EM-type algorithm do provide good asymptotic properties. A real data set is analyzed, illustrating the usefulness of the proposed methodology.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nityasuddhi, Dechavudh & Bohning, Dankmar, 2003. "Asymptotic properties of the EM algorithm estimate for normal mixture models with component specific variances," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 591-601, January.
- Barry Arnold & Robert Beaver & Richard Groeneveld & William Meeker, 1993. "The nontruncated marginal of a truncated bivariate normal distribution," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 58(3), pages 471-488, September.
- Branco, Márcia D. & Dey, Dipak K., 2001. "A General Class of Multivariate Skew-Elliptical Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 99-113, October.
- Adelchi Azzalini, 2005. "The Skew-normal Distribution and Related Multivariate Families," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 32(2), pages 159-188.
- Adelchi Azzalini & Antonella Capitanio, 2003. "Distributions generated by perturbation of symmetry with emphasis on a multivariate skew "t"-distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(2), pages 367-389.
- Biernacki, Christophe & Celeux, Gilles & Govaert, Gerard, 2003. "Choosing starting values for the EM algorithm for getting the highest likelihood in multivariate Gaussian mixture models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 561-575, January.
- DiCiccio T.J. & Monti A.C., 2004. "Inferential Aspects of the Skew Exponential Power Distribution," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 439-450, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:54:y:2010:i:12:p:2926-2941. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.