Optimal income taxation and the shape of average tax rates
We investigate whether the optimal income tax model of Mirrlees (1971) can reproduce the empirically observed increasing average tax rates. We give a necessary condition and exhibit two examples where the optimal average tax rates are increasing.
Volume (Year): 8 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, P., 1994.
"Optimal Income Taxation: An Exemple with a U-Shaped Pattern of Optimal Marginal Tax Rates,"
94-14, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1998. "Optimal Income Taxation: An Example with a U-Shaped Pattern of Optimal Marginal Tax Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 83-95, March.
- Emmanuel Saez, 2000.
"Using Elasticities to Derive Optimal Income Tax Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
7628, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Saez, Emmanuel, 2001. "Using Elasticities to Derive Optimal Income Tax Rates," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(1), pages 205-29, January.
- Seade, Jesus, 1982. "On the Sign of the Optimum Marginal Income Tax," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 637-43, October.
- Boadway, Robin & Cuff, Katherine & Marchand, Maurice, 2000.
" Optimal Income Taxation with Quasi-linear Preferences Revisited,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 2(4), pages 435-60.
- Robin Boadway & Katherine Cuff & Maurice Marchand, 1999. "Optimal Income Taxation With Quasi-Linear Preferences Revisited," Working Papers 984, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- BOADWAY, Robin & CUFF, Katherine & MARCHAND, Maurice, . "Optimal income taxation with quasi-linear preferences revisited," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1466, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-06h20002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.