Trading Volume in Dealer Markets
We develop a financial market trading model in the tradition of Glosten and Milgrom (1985) that allows us to incorporate nontrivial volume. We observe that in this model price volatility is positively related to the trading volume and to the absolute value of the net order flow (i.e., the order imbalance). Moreover, higher volume leads to higher order imbalances. These findings are consistent with well-established empirical findings. Our model further predicts that higher trader participation and systematic improvements in the quality of traders’ information lead to higher volume, larger order imbalances, lower market depth, shorter duration, and higher price volatility.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 06 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cambridge University Press, UPH, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 8BS UK|
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_JFQ
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1992. "Stock Prices and Volume," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 199-242.
- Lesmond, David A & Ogden, Joseph P & Trzcinka, Charles A, 1999. "A New Estimate of Transaction Costs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(5), pages 1113-41.
- Foster, F Douglas & Viswanathan, S, 1993. " Variations in Trading Volume, Return Volatility, and Trading Costs: Evidence on Recent Price Formation Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 187-211, March.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2003.
"Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp321, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- FOUCAULT, Thierry & KADAN, Ohad & KANDEL, Eugene, 2001. "Limit order book as a market for liquidity," Les Cahiers de Recherche 728, HEC Paris.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2005. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Post-Print halshs-00005043, HAL.
- Foucault, Thierry & Kadan, Ohad & Kandel, Eugene, 2001. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 2889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2005. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Post-Print hal-00459785, HAL.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2011. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Working Papers hal-00597190, HAL.
- Brown, Philip & Walsh, David & Yuen, Andrea, 1997. "The interaction between order imbalance and stock price," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(5), pages 539-557, December.
- Chan, Kalok & Fong, Wai-Ming, 2000. "Trade size, order imbalance, and the volatility-volume relation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 247-273, August.
- Jones, Charles M & Kaul, Gautam & Lipson, Marc L, 1994. "Transactions, Volume, and Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(4), pages 631-51.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- Hasbrouck, Joel & Ho, Thomas S Y, 1987. " Order Arrival, Quote Behavior, and the Return-Generating Process," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1035-48, September.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M., 1987. "The Relation between Price Changes and Trading Volume: A Survey," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 109-126, March.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:jfinqa:v:45:y:2011:i:06:p:1447-1484_00. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.