Nonparametric Inference For Unbalanced Time Series Data
This paper is concerned with the practical problem of conducting inference in a vector time series setting when the data are unbalanced or incomplete. In this case, one can work with only the common sample, to which a standard HAC/ bootstrap theory applies, but at the expense of throwing away data and perhaps losing efficiency. An alternative is to use some sort of imputation method, but this requires additional modeling assumptions, which we would rather avoid. We show how the sampling theory changes and how to modify the resampling algorithms to accommodate the problem of missing data. We also discuss efficiency and power. Unbalanced data of the type we consider are quite common in financial panel data; see, for example, Connor and Korajczyk (1993, Journal of Finance 48, 1263–1291). These data also occur in cross-country studies.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 21 (2005)
Issue (Month): 01 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cambridge University Press, UPH, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 8BS UK|
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECT
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Connor, Gregory & Korajczyk, Robert A, 1993. " A Test for the Number of Factors in an Approximate Factor Model," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1263-91, September.
- Peter M. Robinson, 2004. "Robust covariance matrix estimation : HAC estimates with long memory/antipersistence correction," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2157, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- de Jong, R.M. & Davidson, J., 1996.
"Consistency of Kernel Estimators of Heteroscedastic and Autocorrelated Covariance Matrices,"
1996-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Robert M. De Jong & James Davidson, 2000. "Consistency of Kernel Estimators of Heteroscedastic and Autocorrelated Covariance Matrices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 407-424, March.
- Linton, Oliver & Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2003.
"Consistent Testing for Stochastic Dominance under General Sampling Schemes,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2003,31, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Oliver Linton & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2005. "Consistent Testing for Stochastic Dominance under General Sampling Schemes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 735-765.
- Oliver Linton & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2003. "Consistent testing for stochastic dominance under general sampling schemes," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2208, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 2004.
"HAC Estimation by Automated Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1470, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation for Dependent Heterogeneous Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 967-72, July.
- Peter M Robinson, 2004. "ROBUST COVARIANCE MATRIX ESTIMATION: "HAC" Estimates with Long Memory/Antipersistence Correction," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 471, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:etheor:v:21:y:2005:i:01:p:143-157_05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.