The impact of IFRS on the value relevance of accounting data of banks listed on the Warsaw Stock Exchange
The paper aims at investigating the impact of IFRS on the value relevance of fundamental accounting data announced by banks listed on the Warsaw Stock Exchange over the period 1998–2012. Given the specificity of banking sector, the analyses were based on the Ohlson residual income valuation model. The empirical evidence indicates that observed increase in the value relevance of both book values of equity and residual incomes of banks after introduction of IFRS is statistically insignificant. The obtained results are, therefore, consistent with the findings of previous research conducted on non-financial enterprises in the context of Polish capital market.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dobija, Dorota & Klimczak, Karol Marek, 2010. "Development of accounting in Poland: Market efficiency and the value relevance of reported earnings," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 356-374, September.
- Karampinis, Nikolaos I. & Hevas, Dimosthenis L., 2011. "Mandating IFRS in an Unfavorable Environment: The Greek Experience," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 304-332, September.
- Mary E. Barth & Wayne R. Landsman & Mark H. Lang, 2008. "International Accounting Standards and Accounting Quality," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 467-498, June.
- Jamal Barzegari Khanagha, 2011. "Value Relevance of Accounting Information in the United Arab Emirates," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 1(2), pages 33-45, June.
- Asokan Anandarajan & Bill Francis & Iftekhar Hasan & Kose John, 2011. "Value relevance of banks: global evidence," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 33-55, January.
- repec:bla:joares:v:6:y:1968:i:2:p:159-178 is not listed on IDEAS
- Karol Marek KLIMCZAK, 2011. "Market Reaction to Mandatory IFRS Adoption: Evidence from Poland," Journal of Accounting and Management Information Systems, Faculty of Accounting and Management Information Systems, The Bucharest University of Economic Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 228-248, June.
- Karampinis N. & Hevas D., 2009. "The Effect of the Mandatory Application of IFRS on the Value Relevance of Accounting Data: Some Evidence from Greece," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1), pages 73-100.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpn:umkcjf:v:3:y:2014:i:1:p:33-43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Miroslawa Buczynska)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.