Écologie et inégalités
This article presents a survey of some contemporary questions at the crossroads of environmental and social issues. It starts by exploring the case of developing countries, where poverty and environmental degradations are closely related and fuelled by bad governance. The article then considers the link between income inequalities and quality of environmental policies and discusses some critical takes on the so-called ?Environmental Kuznets curve?. In a third part, the article tries to define with some precision the notion of ?environmental justice? and ?environmental inequalities? and finally defends the idea of compatibility between social and environmental imperatives under the form of public ?social-ecological? policies. JEL classification: Q50, Q57, Q48.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 1997. "Wealth Inequality and Efficiency in the Commons: Part I: The Unregulated Case," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(4), pages 451-82, October.
- Hubert Kempf & Stéphane Rossignol, 2006.
"Is inequality harmful for the environment in a growing economy ?,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Hubert Kempf & St�Phane Rossignol, 2007. "Is Inequality Harmful For The Environment In A Growing Economy?," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 53-71, 03.
- Hubert Kempf & Stéphane Rossignol, 2005. "Is Inequality Harmful for the Environment in a Growing Economy?," Working Papers 2005.5, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Hubert Kempf & stéphane Rossignol, 2005. "Is inequality harmful for the environment in a growing economy ?," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques v06045, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), revised May 2006.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2001.
"The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1369-1401, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2000. "The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 7771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David I. Stern, 2003.
"The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve,"
Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics
0302, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Stern, David I., 2004. "The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1419-1439, August.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 2010. "The Place of Nature in Economic Development," Handbook of Development Economics, Elsevier.
- Baland, J-M & Platteau, J-P, 1997. "Wealth Inequality and Efficiency in the Commons," Papers 193, Notre-Dame de la Paix, Sciences Economiques et Sociales.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_109_0033. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.