Generalized least squares estimation for cointegration parameters under conditional heteroskedasticity
In the presence of generalized conditional heteroscedasticity (GARCH) in the residuals of a vector error correction model (VECM), maximum likelihood (ML) estimation of the cointegration parameters has been shown to be efficient. On the other hand, full ML estimation of VECMs with GARCH residuals is computationally di±cult and may not be feasible for larger models. Moreover, ML estimation of VECMs with independently identically distributed residuals is known to have potentially poor small sample properties and this problem also persists when there are GARCH residuals. A further disadvantage of the ML estimator is its sensitivity to misspecification of the GARCH process. We propose a feasible generalized least squares estimator which addresses all these problems. It is easy to compute and has superior small sample properties in the presence of GARCH residuals.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 32 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (05)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0143-9782|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0143-9782|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 1992. "Estimation and Testing of Cointegrated Systems by an Autoregressive Approximation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 1-27, March.
- Phillips, Peter C B, 1994.
"Some Exact Distribution Theory for Maximum Likelihood Estimators of Cointegrating Coefficients in Error Correction Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 73-93, January.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1992. "Some Exact Distribution Theory for Maximum Likelihood Estimators of Cointegrating Coefficients in Error Correction Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1039, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-99, September.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2002.
"Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-34, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2006. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 337-364, February.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2003. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2003. "Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields," NBER Working Papers 10048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Bronwyn H. Hall & Robert E. Hall & Jerry A. Hausman, 1974. "Estimation and Inference in Nonlinear Structural Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 3, number 4, pages 653-665 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian M. Hafner & Helmut Herwartz, 2009. "Testing for linear vector autoregressive dynamics under multivariate generalized autoregressive heteroskedasticity," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 63(3), pages 294-323.
- Seo, Byeongseon, 2007. "Asymptotic distribution of the cointegrating vector estimator in error correction models with conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 68-111, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jtsera:v:32:y:2011:i:3:p:281-291. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.