Gradual Network Expansion And Universal Service Obligations
Universal service obligations are usually not competitively neutral as they modify the way firms compete in the market. In this paper, we consider a continuum of local markets in a dynamic setting with a stochastically growing demand. The incumbent must serve all markets (ubiquity) possibly at a uniform price and an entrant decides on its market coverage before firms compete in prices. Connecting a market involves a sunk cost. We show that the imposition of a uniform price constraint modifies the timing of entry: for low connection cost markets, entry occurs earlier while for high connection cost markets, entry occurs later.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 82 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1370-4788|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1370-4788|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cor:louvrp:-2006 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:bpj:rneart:v:7:y:2008:i:2:p:272-293 is not listed on IDEAS
- De Villemeur Etienne Billette & Cremer Helmuth & Boldron Francois & Roy Bernard, 2008. "Worksharing: A Calibrated Model," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-22, June.
- Gonzales dâ€™Alcantara & Axel Gautier, 2008.
"National Postal Strategies after a Full Postal Market Opening,"
in: Competition and Regulation in the Postal and Delivery Sector, chapter 12
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- D’ALCANTARA, Gonzales & GAUTIER, Axel, . "National postal strategies after a full postal market opening," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2006, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:annpce:v:82:y:2011:i:2:p:97-113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.