The Challenges of Service Provision and Economic Development in South Africa
South Africa faces difficulties related to the provision of services, which stem from common challenges related to globalisation, urbanisation, and the divide between the rich and poor. The country also has to take account of other factors which impact negatively on economic development. Various stakeholders in the public and private sector, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and even communities engage in Local Economic Development (LED) initiatives. Such efforts include job creation and economic stimulation, the creation and support of enterprise establishment and development, infrastructure investment, and attempts to increase the competitiveness in a local area, through the use of the available physical and intellectual resources. The aim of this theoretical paper is to focus on the role of LED in addressing the local and global challenges that impact on service provision and economic development in South Africa. The specific challenges will be outlined, and LED in South Africa will be discussed in some detail, along with recommendations to address areas of concern.
Volume (Year): 14 (2012)
Issue (Month): Special No. 6 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://amfiteatrueconomic.ase.ro/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dr Ronald W. McQuaid, 1996. "Lifelong Learning And Local Economic Development," Working Paper p22, Departement of Economics, Napier University.
- Cristina Mihaela Lazar & Ramona Nicoleta Bunda, 2012. "Knowledge-based Economy, an Appropriate Response to Organizational Change Pressures, with a View to Sustainable Development," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 14(32), pages 380-392, June.
- Christian Rogerson, 2010. "Local economic development in South Africa: Strategic challenges," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(4), pages 481-495.
- Haroon Bhorat & Rashad Cassim, 2004. "The challenge of growth, employment and poverty in the South African economy since democracy: an exploratory review of selected issues," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 7-31.
- Michael Chibba, 2011. "The Millennium Development Goals: Key Current Issues and Challenges," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 29(1), pages 75-90, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aes:amfeco:v:14:y:2012:i:special_no_6:p:580-599. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valentin Dumitru)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.