Social Science & Medicine
Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description
To be notified about new items in this series: Free volume/issue alert on ScienceDirect (see also NEP)
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Zhang, Lei)
Series handle: repec:eee:socmed
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple (last 10 years), Recursive (10), Discounted (10), Recursive discounted (10), H-Index (10), Aggregate (10)
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
More pages of listings: 0| 1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7| 8| 9| 10| 11| 12| 13| 14| 15| 16| 17| 18| 19| 20| 21| 22| 23| 24| 25| 26| 27| 28| 29| 30| 31| 32| 33| 34| 35| 36| 37| 38| 39| 40| 41| 42| 43| 44| 45| 46| 47| 48| 49| 50| 51| 52| 53| 54| 55| 56| 57| 58| 59| 60
2008, Volume 67, Issue 2
- 330-340 Socioeconomic status and health: The role of subjective social status
by Demakakos, Panayotes & Nazroo, James & Breeze, Elizabeth & Marmot, Michael
- 341-349 Measuring the school impact on child obesity
by Procter, Kimberley L. & Rudolf, Mary C. & Feltbower, Richard G. & Levine, Ronnie & Connor, Anne & Robinson, Michael & Clarke, Graham P.
2008, Volume 67, Issue 1
- 1-9 Framing disease: An underappreciated mechanism for the social patterning of health
by Aronowitz, Robert
- 10-13 A case of old wine in re-labeled bottles? A commentary on Aronowitz
by Kunitz, Stephen J.
- 14-17 Out from under the skin: Disease etiology, biology and society: A commentary on Aronowitz
by Fullwiley, Duana
- 18-19 Revisiting labeling theory and health: A commentary on Aronowitz
by Nathanson, Constance
- 20-22 Rejoinder to commentaries on "Framing disease: an underappreciated mechanism for the social patterning of health"
by Aronowitz, Robert
- 23-30 Pathways to depression: The impact of neighborhood violent crime on inner-city residents in Baltimore, Maryland, USA
by Curry, Aaron & Latkin, Carl & Davey-Rothwell, Melissa
- 31-37 Does neighborhood violence lead to depression among caregivers of children with asthma?
by Tonorezos, Emily S. & Breysse, Patrick N. & Matsui, Elizabeth C. & McCormack, Meredith C. & Curtin-Brosnan, Jean & Williams, D'Ann & Hansel, Nadia N. & Eggleston, Peyton A. & Diette, Gregory B.
- 38-46 An examination of processes linking perceived neighborhood disorder and obesity
by Burdette, Amy M. & Hill, Terrence D.
- 47-56 Shifting accountability: A longitudinal qualitative study of diabetes causation accounts
by Lawton, Julia & Peel, Elizabeth & Parry, Odette & Douglas, Margaret
- 57-67 Illness experience in fibromyalgia syndrome: A metasynthesis of qualitative studies
by Sim, Julius & Madden, Sue
- 68-78 Health, healing and recovery: Therapeutic landscapes and the everyday lives of breast cancer survivors
by English, Jennifer & Wilson, Kathi & Keller-Olaman, Sue
- 79-87 The meaning of the survivor identity for women with breast cancer
by Kaiser, Karen
- 88-100 The effects of household joblessness on mental health
by Scutella, Rosanna & Wooden, Mark
- 101-110 Export of health services from developing countries: The case of Tunisia
by Lautier, Marc
- 111-121 What do people value when they provide unpaid care for an older person? A meta-ethnography with interview follow-up
by Al-Janabi, Hareth & Coast, Joanna & Flynn, Terry N.
- 122-127 Transitions into informal caregiving and out of paid employment of women in their 50s
by Berecki-Gisolf, Janneke & Lucke, Jayne & Hockey, Richard & Dobson, Annette
- 128-136 The two facets of electronic care surveillance: An exploration of the views of older people who live with monitoring devices
by Essén, Anna
- 137-146 What influences referrals within community palliative care services? A qualitative case study
by Walshe, Catherine & Chew-Graham, Carolyn & Todd, Chris & Caress, Ann
- 147-151 Are 'anonymous' and 'non-directed' prerequisites for living altruistic donation? The views of transplant physicians from France and Québec
by Fortin, Marie-Chantal & Dion-Labrie, Marianne & Hébert, Marie-Josée & Achille, Marie & Doucet, Hubert
- 152-160 Contending visions in the evolution of genetic medicine: The case of cancer genetic services in Ontario, Canada
by Miller, Fiona Alice & Giacomini, Mita & Ahern, Catherine
- 161-164 Reducing child mortality in Nigeria: A case study of immunization and systemic factors
by Ngowu, Rufus & Larson, James S. & Kim, Min Su
- 165-176 Who's talking? Communication between health providers and HIV-infected adults related to herbal medicine for AIDS treatment in western Uganda
by Langlois-Klassen, Deanne & Kipp, Walter & Rubaale, Tom
- 177-182 Using 'complexity' for improving educational research in health care
by Cooper, Helen & Geyer, Robert
- 183-194 Tacit and encoded knowledge in the use of standardised outcome measures in multidisciplinary team decision making: A case study of in-patient neurorehabilitation
by Greenhalgh, Joanne & Flynn, Rob & Long, Andrew F. & Tyson, Sarah
- 195-203 Qualitative research and the politics of knowledge in an age of evidence: Developing a research-based practice of immanent critique
by Mykhalovskiy, Eric & Armstrong, Pat & Armstrong, Hugh & Bourgeault, Ivy & Choiniere, Jackie & Lexchin, Joel & Peters, Suzanne & White, Jerry
2008, Volume 66, Issue 12
- 2391-2400 Age and the balance of emotions
by Ross, Catherine E. & Mirowsky, John
- 2401-2412 Comparing sense of coherence, depressive symptoms and anxiety, and their relationships with health in a population-based study
by Konttinen, Hanna & Haukkala, Ari & Uutela, Antti
- 2413-2424 Azúcar y nervios: Explanatory models and treatment experiences of Hispanics with diabetes and depression
by Cabassa, Leopoldo J. & Hansen, Marissa C. & Palinkas, Lawrence A. & Ell, Kathleen
- 2425-2435 What affects the uptake of screening for bowel cancer using a faecal occult blood test (FOBt): A qualitative study
by Chapple, Alison & Ziebland, Sue & Hewitson, Paul & McPherson, Ann
- 2436-2447 How Japanese parents of deaf children arrive at decisions regarding pediatric cochlear implantation surgery: A qualitative study
by Okubo, Suguru & Takahashi, Miyako & Kai, Ichiro
- 2448-2459 Preferences and choices for care and health insurance
by van den Berg, Bernard & Van Dommelen, Paula & Stam, Piet & Laske-Aldershof, Trea & Buchmueller, Tom & Schut, Frederik T.
- 2460-2473 Community-based health insurance and access to maternal health services: Evidence from three West African countries
by Smith, Kimberly V. & Sulzbach, Sara
- 2474-2485 Social services utilization by adults with intellectual disabilities and their families
by Chou, Yueh-Ching & Lee, Yue-Chune & Lin, Li-Chan & Chang, Ai-Ning & Huang, Wei-Yi
- 2486-2494 When to seek health care: A duration analysis for malaria patients in Nepal
by Sharma, Vijaya Raj
- 2495-2505 Practicing research ethics: Private-sector physicians & pharmaceutical clinical trials
by Fisher, Jill A.
- 2506-2519 Best research - For what? Best health - For whom? A critical exploration of primary care research using discourse analysis
by Shaw, Sara E. & Greenhalgh, Trisha
- 2520-2531 Biomedical scientists' perception of the social sciences in health research
by Albert, Mathieu & Laberge, Suzanne & Hodges, Brian D. & Regehr, Glenn & Lingard, Lorelei
- 2532-2543 The expansion of abnormality and the biomedical norm: Neonatal screening, prenatal diagnosis and cystic fibrosis in France
by Vailly, Joëlle
- 2544-2554 What British women say matters to them about donating an aborted fetus to stem cell research: A focus group study
by Pfeffer, Naomi
- 2555-2561 A multilevel examination of exercise intention and behavior during pregnancy
by Hausenblas, Heather & Downs, Danielle Symons & Giacobbi, Peter & Tuccitto, Danny & Cook, Brian
- 2562-2572 Brittle bones, pain and fractures - Lay constructions of osteoporosis among Norwegian women attending the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study (HUNT)
by Skolbekken, John-Arne & Østerlie, Wenche & Forsmo, Siri
- 2573-2584 Factors that influence body image representations of black Muslim women
by Odoms-Young, Angela
- 2585-2595 You are what you eat? Vegetarianism, health and identity
by Fox, Nick & Ward, Katie J.
- 2596-2609 How socio-economic status contributes to participation in leisure-time physical activity
by Cerin, Ester & Leslie, Eva
2008, Volume 66, Issue 11
- 2185-2194 The Cedar Project: Historical trauma, sexual abuse and HIV risk among young Aboriginal people who use injection and non-injection drugs in two Canadian cities
by For the Cedar Project Partnership & Pearce, Margo E. & Christian, Wayne M. & Patterson, Katharina & Norris, Kat & Moniruzzaman, Akm & Craib, Kevin J.P. & Schechter, Martin T. & Spittal, Patricia M.
- 2195-2205 My peers, my friend, and I: Peer interactions and somatic complaints in boys and girls
by Jellesma, Francine C. & Rieffe, Carolien & Terwogt, Mark Meerum
- 2206-2217 Beefing up with the Chans: Evidence for the effects of relative income and income inequality on health from the China Health and Nutrition Survey
by Chen, Zhuo & Meltzer, David
- 2218-2229 The association of fast food, fruit and vegetable prices with dietary intakes among US adults: Is there modification by family income?
by Beydoun, May A. & Powell, Lisa M. & Wang, Youfa
- 2230-2239 Eating patterns may mediate the association between marital status, body mass index, and blood cholesterol levels in apparently healthy men and women from the ATTICA study
by Yannakoulia, Mary & Panagiotakos, Demosthenes & Pitsavos, Christos & Skoumas, Yannis & Stafanadis, Christodoulos
- 2240-2252 The contribution of job characteristics to socioeconomic inequalities in incidence of myocardial infarction
by Huisman, Martijn & Van Lenthe, Frank & Avendano, Mauricio & Mackenbach, Johan
- 2253-2267 Neighborhoods and disability in later life
by Freedman, Vicki A. & Grafova, Irina B. & Schoeni, Robert F. & Rogowski, Jeannette
- 2268-2280 Contextual social capital as a risk factor for poor self-rated health: A multilevel analysis
by Engström, Karin & Mattsson, Fredrik & Järleborg, Anders & Hallqvist, Johan
- 2281-2295 Welfare state regimes and differences in self-perceived health in Europe: A multilevel analysis
by Eikemo, Terje Andreas & Bambra, Clare & Judge, Ken & Ringdal, Kristen
- 2296-2307 The economic impact of chronic diseases: How do households respond to shocks? Evidence from Russia
by Abegunde, Dele Olawale & Stanciole, Anderson E.
- 2308-2320 Equity in health care financing in Palestine: The value-added of the disaggregate approach
by Abu-Zaineh, Mohammad & Mataria, Awad & Luchini, Stéphane & Moatti, Jean-Paul
- 2321-2334 Doing well by doing good. The relationship between formal volunteering and self-reported health and happiness
by Borgonovi, Francesca
- 2335-2345 Enhancing the conceptual clarity of the activity and participation components of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health
by Badley, Elizabeth M.
- 2346-2355 The creation of the concept of an antidepressant: An historical analysis
by Moncrieff, Joanna
- 2356-2365 Communicating a terminal prognosis in a palliative care setting: Deficiencies in current communication training protocols
by Wittenberg-Lyles, Elaine M. & Goldsmith, Joy & Sanchez-Reilly, Sandra & Ragan, Sandra L.
- 2366-2377 'I don't do like I used to do': A grounded theory approach to conceptualising awareness in people with moderate to severe dementia living in long-term care
by Clare, Linda & Rowlands, Julia & Bruce, Errollyn & Surr, Claire & Downs, Murna
- 2378-2389 Indigenous women and smoking during pregnancy: Knowledge, cultural contexts and barriers to cessation
by Wood, Lisa & France, Kathryn & Hunt, Kerry & Eades, Sandra & Slack-Smith, Linda
2008, Volume 66, Issue 10
- 2067-2075 Future health systems: Why future? Why now?
by Bloom, Gerald & Standing, Hilary
- 2076-2087 Markets, information asymmetry and health care: Towards new social contracts
by Bloom, Gerald & Standing, Hilary & Lloyd, Robert
- 2088-2095 The health professions and the performance of future health systems in low-income countries: Support or obstacle?
by Dussault, Gilles
- 2096-2107 Producing effective knowledge agents in a pluralistic environment: What future for community health workers?
by Standing, H. & Chowdhury, A. Mushtaque R.
- 2108-2121 Scaling-up antiretroviral treatment in Southern African countries with human resource shortage: How will health systems adapt?
by Van Damme, Wim & Kober, Katharina & Kegels, Guy
- 2122-2132 Information and communications technology for future health systems in developing countries
by Lucas, Henry
- 2133-2144 Regulating India's health services: To what end? What future?
by Peters, David H. & Muraleedharan, V.R.
- 2145-2156 Ownership, control, and contention: Challenges for the future of healthcare in Malaysia
by CHEE, Heng Leng
- 2157-2167 New therapeutic landscapes in Africa: Parental categories and practices in seeking infant health in the Republic of Guinea
by Leach, Melissa A. & Fairhead, James R. & Millimouno, Dominique & Diallo, Alpha Ahmadou
- 2168-2172 From life insurance to safer sex - Reflections of a marketing man
by Mackay, Bruce
- 2173-2184 Engaging citizens: Lessons from building Brazil's national health system
by Cornwall, Andrea & Shankland, Alex
2008, Volume 66, Issue 9
- 1871-1881 Neo-materialist theory and the temporal relationship between income inequality and longevity change
by Clarkwest, Andrew
- 1882-1894 A commentary on "Neo-materialist theory and the temporal relationship between income inequality and longevity change"
by Zimmerman, Frederick J.
- 1895-1902 Sensitive periods and first difference models: Integrating etiologic thinking into econometric techniques: A commentary on Clarkwest's "Neo-materialist theory and the temporal relationship between income inequality and longevity change"
by Glymour, M. Maria
- 1903-1908 Confounding and process-model fit in research on income inequality and population health: a rejoinder to Zimmerman and Glymour
by Clarkwest, Andrew
- 1909-1914 How pharmaceutical industry funding affects trial outcomes: Causal structures and responses
by Sismondo, Sergio
- 1915-1927 Exploring emerging technologies using metaphors - A study of orphan drugs and pharmacogenomics
by Boon, Wouter & Moors, Ellen
- 1928-1938 Civil society organisations and global health initiatives: Problems of legitimacy
by Doyle, Cathal & Patel, Preeti
- 1939-1950 Which aspects of non-clinical quality of care are most important? Results from WHO's general population surveys of "health systems responsiveness" in 41 countries
by Valentine, Nicole & Darby, Charles & Bonsel, Gouke J.
- 1951-1962 Influence of socioeconomic status, wealth and financial empowerment on gender differences in health and healthcare utilization in later life: evidence from India
by Roy, Kakoli & Chaudhuri, Anoshua
- 1963-1966 Overlooking undernutrition? Using a composite index of anthropometric failure to assess how underweight misses and misleads the assessment of undernutrition in young children
by Nandy, Shailen & Jaime Miranda, J.
- 1967-1978 The effect of income and occupation on body mass index among women in the Cebu Longitudinal Health and Nutrition Surveys (1983-2002)
by Colchero, M. Arantxa & Caballero, Benjamin & Bishai, David
- 1979-1989 The crowding-out effects of tobacco and alcohol where expenditure shares are low: Analyzing expenditure data for Taiwan
by Pu, Cheng-yun & Lan, Virginia & Chou, Yiing-Jenq & Lan, Chung-fu
- 1990-1998 Belief in ghost month can help prevent drowning deaths: A natural experiment on the effects of cultural beliefs on risky behaviours
by Yang, Chiang-Hsing & Huang, Yu-Tung & Janes, Craig & Lin, Kuan-Chia & Lu, Tsung-Hsueh
- 1999-2010 Is social capital associated with HIV risk in rural South Africa?
by Pronyk, Paul M. & Harpham, Trudy & Morison, Linda A. & Hargreaves, James R. & Kim, Julia C. & Phetla, Godfrey & Watts, Charlotte H. & Porter, John D.
- 2011-2022 The role of educational level and job characteristics on the health of young adults
by Karmakar, Sunita D. & Breslin, F. Curtis
- 2023-2034 Enduring consequences of parenting for risk behaviors from adolescence into early adulthood
by Roche, Kathleen M. & Ahmed, Saiffudin & Blum, Robert W.
- 2035-2047 Effects of spouses' socioeconomic characteristics on mortality among men and women in a Norwegian longitudinal study
by Skalická, Vera & Kunst, Anton E.
- 2048-2060 Neighborhood influences on the association between maternal age and birthweight: A multilevel investigation of age-related disparities in health
by Cerdá, Magdalena & Buka, Stephen L. & Rich-Edwards, Janet W.
- 2061-2063 Poverty and mental illness: Fact or fiction? A commentary on Das, Do, Friedman, McKenzie & Scott (65:3, 2007, 467-480)
by Corrigall, Joanne & Lund, Crick & Patel, Vikram & Plagerson, Sophie & Funk, Michelle K.
- 2064-2066 Revisiting the relationship between mental health and poverty in developing countries: a response to Corrigall
by Das, Jishnu & Do, Quy-Toan & Friedman, Jed & McKenzie, David & Scott, Kinnon
2008, Volume 66, Issue 8
- 1659-1669 Epidemiologic analysis of racial/ethnic disparities: Some fundamental issues and a cautionary example
by Kaufman, Jay S.
- 1670-1674 Functional or futile?: The (in)utility of methodological critiques of genetic research on racial disparities in health. A commentary on Kaufman's "Epidemiologic analysis of racial/ethnic disparities: Some fundamental issues and a cautionary example"
by Frank, Reanne
- 1675-1677 Arguments prove nothing unless verified. A commentary on Kaufman's "Epidemiologic analysis of racial/ethnic disparities: Some fundamental issues and a cautionary example"
by Exner, Derek V. & Cohn, Jay N.
- 1678-1680 Epidemiologic analysis of racial/ethnic disparities: A rejoinder to Frank and Exner
by Kaufman, Jay S.
- 1681-1698 Associations of job strain and working overtime with adverse health behaviors and obesity: Evidence from the Whitehall II Study, Helsinki Health Study, and the Japanese Civil Servants Study
by Lallukka, Tea & Lahelma, Eero & Rahkonen, Ossi & Roos, Eva & Laaksonen, Elina & Martikainen, Pekka & Head, Jenny & Brunner, Eric & Mosdol, Annhild & Marmot, Michael & Sekine, Michikazu & Nasermoaddeli, Ali & Kagamimori, Sadanobu
- 1699-1708 Economic development as a determinant of injury mortality - A longitudinal approach
by Moniruzzaman, Syed & Andersson, Ragnar
- 1709-1718 Achieving better measles immunization in developing countries: does higher coverage imply lower inequality?
by Meheus, Filip & Van Doorslaer, Eddy
- 1719-1732 Is inequality at the heart of it? Cross-country associations of income inequality with cardiovascular diseases and risk factors
by Kim, Daniel & Kawachi, Ichiro & Hoorn, Stephen Vander & Ezzati, Majid
- 1733-1749 Is well-being U-shaped over the life cycle?
by Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J.
- 1750-1759 Healthy and happy in Europe? On the association between happiness and life expectancy over time
by Bjørnskov, Christian
- 1760-1771 Health-related quality of life among Mexican Americans living in colonias at the Texas-Mexico border
by Mier, Nelda & Ory, Marcia G. & Zhan, Dongling & Conkling, Martha & Sharkey, Joseph R. & Burdine, James N.
- 1772-1783 Tobacco use in sub-Sahara Africa: Estimates from the demographic health surveys
by Pampel, Fred
- 1784-1796 A grim contradiction: The practice and consequences of corporate social responsibility by British American Tobacco in Malaysia
by Barraclough, Simon & Morrow, Martha
- 1797-1808 Potential impacts of iron biofortification in India
by Stein, Alexander J. & Meenakshi, J.V. & Qaim, Matin & Nestel, Penelope & Sachdev, H.P.S. & Bhutta, Zulfiqar A.
- 1809-1816 Effects of health literacy on health status and health service utilization amongst the elderly
by Cho, Young Ik & Lee, Shoou-Yih D. & Arozullah, Ahsan M. & Crittenden, Kathleen S.
- 1817-1827 Collective self-esteem and the onset of chronic conditions and reduced activity in a longitudinal study of aging
by Bailis, Daniel S. & Chipperfield, Judith G. & Helgason, Tiffany R.
- 1828-1840 Social determinants of psychological distress in a nationally-representative sample of South African adults
by Myer, Landon & Stein, Dan J. & Grimsrud, Anna & Seedat, Soraya & Williams, David R.
- 1841-1847 Mental health of female survivors of human trafficking in Nepal
by Tsutsumi, Atsuro & Izutsu, Takashi & Poudyal, Amod K. & Kato, Seika & Marui, Eiji
- 1848-1862 Health work, female sex workers and HIV/AIDS: Global and local dimensions of stigma and deviance as barriers to effective interventions
by Scambler, Graham & Paoli, Frederique
- 1863-1869 Chemotherapy as language: Sound symbolism in cancer medication names
by Abel, Gregory A. & Glinert, Lewis H.
2008, Volume 66, Issue 7
- 1451-1456 Promoting research participation: Why not advertise altruism?
by Williams, Brian & Entwistle, Vikki & Haddow, Gill & Wells, Mary
- 1457-1460 A comprehensive evidence-based approach is needed for promoting participation in health research: A commentary on Williams
by Fry, Craig L.
- 1461-1462 Placing evidence in context: A response to Fry's commentary
by Williams, Brian & Entwistle, Vikki A. & Haddow, Gill & Wells, Mary
- 1463-1473 Impact of methamphetamine precursor chemical legislation, a suppression policy, on the demand for drug treatment
by Cunningham, James K. & Liu, Lon-Mu
- 1474-1483 Gender differences in physicians' communicative skills and their influence on patient satisfaction in gynaecological outpatient consultations
by Christen, Regula Nelly & Alder, Judith & Bitzer, Johannes
- 1484-1496 Time, space and opportunity in the outpatient consultation: 'The doctor's story'
by Radley, Alan & Mayberry, John & Pearce, Melanie
- 1497-1508 Performing stable angina pectoris: An ethnographic study
by Somerville, Claire & Featherstone, Katie & Hemingway, Harry & Timmis, Adam & Feder, Gene Solomon
- 1509-1520 Resisting social disenfranchisement: Negotiating collective identities and everyday life with memory loss
by Beard, Renée L. & Fox, Patrick J.
- 1521-1532 Managing self-responsibility through other-oriented blame: Family accounts of genetic testing
by Arribas-Ayllon, Michael & Sarangi, Srikant & Clarke, Angus
- 1533-1544 Dying as a social relationship: A sociological review of debates on the determination of death
by Kellehear, Allan
- 1545-1556 Psychosocial factors as mediators between migration and subjective well-being among young Finnish adults
by Ek, Ellen & Koiranen, Markku & Raatikka, Veli-Pekka & Järvelin, Marjo-Riitta & Taanila, Anja
- 1557-1567 Barriers to the community support of orphans and vulnerable youth in Rwanda
by Thurman, Tonya Renee & Snider, Leslie A. & Boris, Neil W. & Kalisa, Edward & Nyirazinyoye, Laetitia & Brown, Lisanne
- 1568-1578 Quality of life as a mode of governance: NGO talk of HIV 'positive' health in India
by Finn, Mark & Sarangi, Srikant
- 1579-1587 Quality of life, health and physiological status and change at older ages
by Blane, David & Netuveli, Gopalakrishnan & Montgomery, Scott M.
- 1588-1602 Declines in late-life disability: The role of early- and mid-life factors
by Freedman, Vicki A. & Martin, Linda G. & Schoeni, Robert F. & Cornman, Jennifer C.
- 1603-1613 Community-level social capital and recurrence of acute coronary syndrome
by Scheffler, Richard M. & Brown, Timothy T. & Syme, Leonard & Kawachi, Ichiro & Tolstykh, Irina & Iribarren, Carlos
- 1614-1626 Income inequality and population health: Correlation and causality
by Babones, Salvatore J.
- 1627-1636 Discrimination and health in an English study
by Kelaher, M. & Paul, Sheila & Lambert, Helen & Ahmad, Waqar & Paradies, Yin & Davey Smith, George
- 1637-1645 Religious affiliation and mortality in Northern Ireland: Beyond Catholic and Protestant
by O'Reilly, Dermot & Rosato, Michael
- 1646-1657 Psychosocial health of residents exposed to soil pollution in a Flemish neighbourhood
by Vandermoere, Frédéric
2008, Volume 66, Issue 6
- 1241-1255 Neighbourhood effects on health: Does it matter where you draw the boundaries?
by Flowerdew, Robin & Manley, David J. & Sabel, Clive E.
- 1256-1270 Subjective and objective neighborhood characteristics and adult health
by Weden, Margaret M. & Carpiano, Richard M. & Robert, Stephanie A.
- 1271-1283 "I spent nine years looking for a doctor": Exploring access to health care among immigrants in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
by Asanin, Jennifer & Wilson, Kathi
- 1284-1296 Relation of female gender and low socioeconomic status to internalizing symptoms among adolescents: A case of double jeopardy?
by Mendelson, Tamar & Kubzansky, Laura D. & Datta, Geetanjali D. & Buka, Stephen L.
- 1297-1309 The contribution of maternal working conditions to socio-economic inequalities in birth outcome
by Gisselmann, Marit Dahlén & Hemström, Örjan
- 1310-1321 Hostility and anomie: Links to preterm delivery subtypes and ambulatory blood pressure at mid-pregnancy
by Tiedje, LindaBeth & Holzman, Claudia B. & De Vos, Eric & Jia, Xu & Korzeniewski, Steve & Rahbar, Mohammad H. & Goble, Monica M. & Kallen, David
- 1322-1333 The long-term effects of intimate partner violence on adolescent mothers' depressive symptoms
by Lindhorst, Taryn & Oxford, Monica
- 1334-1345 Does a higher educational level protect against anxiety and depression? The HUNT study
by Bjelland, Ingvar & Krokstad, Steinar & Mykletun, Arnstein & Dahl, Alv A. & Tell, Grethe S. & Tambs, K.
- 1346-1355 The physical strenuousness of work is slightly associated with an upward trend in the BMI
by Böckerman, Petri & Johansson, Edvard & Jousilahti, Pekka & Uutela, Antti
- 1356-1367 Crowding out effect of tobacco expenditure and its implications on household resource allocation in India
by John, Rijo M.
- 1368-1378 "The problem of the worst-off is dealt with after all other issues": The equity and health policy implementation gap in Burkina Faso
by Ridde, Valéry
- 1379-1392 Defining the "community" in community consultation for emergency research: Findings from the community VOICES study
by Ragin, Deborah Fish & Ricci, Edmund & Rhodes, Rosamond & Holohan, Jennifer & Smirnoff, Margaret & Richardson, Lynne D.
- 1393-1405 Modifying Photovoice for community-based participatory Indigenous research
by Castleden, Heather & Garvin, Theresa & First Nation, Huu-ay-aht
- 1406-1417 Researching reducing health disparities: Mixed-methods approaches
by Stewart, Miriam & Makwarimba, Edward & Barnfather, Alison & Letourneau, Nicole & Neufeld, Anne
- 1418-1428 Children in chronic pain: Promoting pediatric patients' symptom accounts in tertiary care
by Clemente, Ignasi & Lee, Seung-Hee & Heritage, John
- 1429-1436 Researching health inequalities in adolescents: The development of the Health Behaviour in School-Aged Children (HBSC) Family Affluence Scale
by Currie, Candace & Molcho, Michal & Boyce, William & Holstein, Bjørn & Torsheim, Torbjørn & Richter, Matthias
- 1437-1447 Hygiene and uncertainty in qualitative accounts of hepatitis C transmission among drug injectors in Serbia
by Rhodes, Tim & ZikicÂ´, Bojan & ProdanovicÂ´, Ana & Kuneski, Elena & Bernays, Sarah
2008, Volume 66, Issue 5
- 1019-1033 "You are free to set your own hours": Governing worker productivity and health through flexibility and resilience
by MacEachen, Ellen & Polzer, Jessica & Clarke, Judy
- 1034-1045 Social status and health: A comparison of British civil servants in Whitehall-II with European- and African-Americans in CARDIA
by Adler, Nancy & Singh-Manoux, Archana & Schwartz, Joseph & Stewart, Judith & Matthews, Karen & Marmot, Michael G.
- 1046-1056 Socioeconomic context, distance to primary care and detection of hepatitis C: A French population-based study
by Monnet, Elisabeth & Ramée, Cécile & Minello, Anne & Jooste, Valérie & Carel, Didier & Di Martino, Vincent
- 1057-1069 Risk screening, emergency care, and lay concepts of complications during pregnancy in Chiapas, Mexico
by Tinoco-Ojanguren, Rolando & Glantz, Namino M. & Martinez-Hernandez, Imelda & Ovando-Meza, Ismael
- 1070-1083 A health transition: Birth weights, households and survival in an Australian working-class population sample born 1857-1900
by McCalman, Janet & Morley, Ruth & Mishra, Gita
- 1084-1094 The social nature of natural childbirth
by Mansfield, Becky
- 1095-1105 "We Grandmothers Know Plenty": Breastfeeding, complementary feeding and the multifaceted role of grandmothers in Malawi
by Bezner Kerr, Rachel & Dakishoni, Laifolo & Shumba, Lizzie & Msachi, Rodgers & Chirwa, Marko
- 1106-1117 "He will ask why the child gets sick so often": The gendered dynamics of intra-household bargaining over healthcare for children with fever in the Volta Region of Ghana
by Tolhurst, Rachel & Amekudzi, Yaa Peprah & Nyonator, Frank K. & Bertel Squire, S. & Theobald, Sally
- 1118-1130 Ethnic differentials in parental health seeking for childhood illness in Vietnam
by Teerawichitchainan, Bussarawan & Phillips, James F.
- 1131-1139 Childhood social class and cancer incidence: Results of the globe study
by de Kok, Inge M.C.M. & van Lenthe, Frank J. & Avendano, Mauricio & Louwman, Marieke & Coebergh, Jan-Willem W. & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 1140-1151 The impact of cumulative childhood adversity on young adult mental health: Measures, models, and interpretations
by Schilling, Elizabeth A. & Aseltine, Robert H. & Gore, Susan
- 1152-1164 The association between subjective social status and mental health among Asian immigrants: Investigating the influence of age at immigration
by Leu, Janxin & Yen, Irene H. & Gansky, Stuart A. & Walton, Emily & Adler, Nancy E. & Takeuchi, David T.
- 1165-1173 Mental-physical comorbidity in an ethnically diverse population
by Scott, Kate & McGee, Magnus A. & Schaaf, David & Baxter, Joanne
- 1174-1184 Social capital in its place: Using social theory to understand social capital and inequalities in health
by Stephens, Christine
- 1185-1196 Bringing health home: Householder and provider perspectives on the healthy housing programme in Auckland, New Zealand
by Bullen, Chris & Kearns, Robin A. & Clinton, Janet & Laing, Patricia & Mahoney, Faith & McDuff, Ingrid
- 1197-1203 Emergency department utilization among victims and offenders involved in non-lethal violence
by Daday, Jerry K. & Broidy, Lisa M. & Crandall, Cameron S.
- 1204-1216 Provider and clinic cultural competence in a primary care setting
by Paez, Kathryn A. & Allen, Jerilyn K. & Carson, Kathryn A. & Cooper, Lisa A.
- 1217-1227 Women and prostate cancer support groups: The gender connect?
by Bottorff, Joan L. & Oliffe, John L. & Halpin, Michael & Phillips, Melanie & McLean, Graham & Mroz, Lawrence
- 1228-1239 Reconsidering patient empowerment in chronic illness: A critique of models of self-efficacy and bodily control
by Aujoulat, Isabelle & Marcolongo, Renzo & Bonadiman, Leopoldo & Deccache, Alain
2008, Volume 66, Issue 4
- 803-810 Socioeconomic status and health-related quality of life among elderly people: Results from the Joint Canada/United States Survey of Health
by Huguet, Nathalie & Kaplan, Mark S. & Feeny, David
- 811-821 Relationship of race and poverty to lower extremity function and decline: Findings from the women's health and aging study
by Thorpe Jr., Roland James & Kasper, Judith D. & Szanton, Sarah L. & Frick, Kevin D. & Fried, Linda P. & Simonsick, Eleanor M.
- 822-834 The contribution of parental and grandparental childhood social disadvantage to circulatory disease diagnosis in young Swedish men
by Modin, Bitte & Vågerö, Denny & Hallqvist, Johan & Koupil, Ilona
- 835-848 Status relations in school and their relevance for health in a life course perspective: Findings from the Aberdeen children of the 1950's cohort study
by Östberg, Viveca & Modin, Bitte
- 849-861 Trajectories of functional health: The 'long arm' of childhood health and socioeconomic factors
by Haas, Steven
- 862-872 A multilevel analysis of urban neighborhood socioeconomic disadvantage and health in late life
by Wight, Richard G. & Cummings, Janet R. & Miller-Martinez, Dana & Karlamangla, Arun S. & Seeman, Teresa E. & Aneshensel, Carol S.
- 873-884 Widowhood and mortality among the elderly: The modifying role of neighborhood concentration of widowed individuals
by Subramanian, S.V. & Elwert, Felix & Christakis, Nicholas
- 885-899 Social capital and health and well-being in East Asia: A population-based study
by Yamaoka, Kazue
- 900-910 Individual-level analysis of social capital and health: A comparison of Arab and Jewish Israelis
by Baron-Epel, Orna & Weinstein, Ruth & Haviv-Mesika, Amalia & Garty-Sandalon, Noga & Green, Manfred S.
- 911-921 Social and structural violence and power relations in mitigating HIV risk of drug-using women in survival sex work
by Shannon, Kate & Kerr, Thomas & Allinott, Shari & Chettiar, Jill & Shoveller, Jean & Tyndall, Mark W.
- 922-932 Accounting for institutional change in health economic evaluation: A program to tackle HIV/AIDS and gender violence in Southern Africa
by Jan, Stephen & Pronyk, Paul & Kim, Julia
- 933-944 Paradoxes and asymmetries of transnational networks: A comparative case study of Mexico's community-based AIDS organizations
by Barnes, Nielan
- 945-951 Social impact of preventive HIV vaccine clinical trial participation: A model of prevention, assessment and intervention
by Allen, Mary & Lau, Chuen-Yen
- 952-962 The Chinese health care regulatory institutions in an era of transition
by Fang, Jing
- 963-969 Entrepreneurial ventures and whole-body donations: A regional perspective from the United States
by Anteby, Michel & Hyman, Mikell
- 970-981 Tobacco industry sociological programs to influence public beliefs about smoking
by Landman, Anne & Cortese, Daniel K. & Glantz, Stanton
- 982-993 Planning for end of life care within lay-led chronic illness self-management training: The significance of 'death awareness' and biographical context in participant accounts
by Sanders, Caroline & Rogers, Anne & Gately, Claire & Kennedy, Anne
- 994-1007 Family context of mental health risk in Tsunami affected mothers: Findings from a pilot study in Sri Lanka
by Wickrama, K.A.S. & Wickrama, K.A. Thulitha
- 1008-1018 Violence against women by their intimate partner and common mental disorders
by Ludermir, Ana Bernarda & Schraiber, Lilia B. & D'Oliveira, Ana F.P.L. & França-Junior, Ivan & Jansen, Henrica A.
2008, Volume 66, Issue 3
- 507-519 Neuroendocrine biomarkers, social relations, and the cumulative costs of stress in Taiwan
by Gersten, Omer
- 520-524 Challenges and opportunities for integrative health research in the context of culture: A commentary on Gersten
by McDade, Thomas W.
- 525-530 Neuroendocrine biomarkers, allostatic load, and the challenge of measurement: A commentary on Gersten
by Loucks, Eric B. & Juster, Robert P. & Pruessner, Jens C.
- 531-535 The path traveled and the path ahead for the allostatic framework: A rejoinder on the framework's importance and the need for further work related to theory, data, and measurement
by Gersten, Omer
- 536-544 Perceived social position and health in older adults in Taiwan
by Collins, Amy Love & Goldman, Noreen
- 545-557 Paying the price: The cost and consequences of emergency obstetric care in Burkina Faso
by Storeng, Katerini Tagmatarchi & Baggaley, Rebecca F. & Ganaba, Rasmané & Ouattara, Fatoumata & Akoum, Mélanie S. & Filippi, Véronique
- 558-568 Using qualitative methods to understand the determinants of patients' willingness to pay for cataract surgery: A study in Tanzania
by Geneau, Robert & Massae, Patrick & Courtright, Paul & Lewallen, Susan
- 569-581 Providing affordable essential medicines to African households: The missing policies and institutions for price containment
by Tetteh, Ebenezer kwabena
- 582-595 Mental health recovery and economic recovery after the tsunami: High-frequency longitudinal evidence from Sri Lankan small business owners
by de Mel, Suresh & McKenzie, David & Woodruff, Christopher
- 596-608 The North Korean standard of living during the famine
by Schwekendiek, Daniel
- 609-619 Marital status and smoking in Korea: The influence of gender and age
by Cho, Hong-Jun & Khang, Young-Ho & Jun, Hee-Jin & Kawachi, Ichiro