Education and Wage Inequality in Germany: A Review of the Empirical Literature
AbstractThis paper reviews the current state of knowledge on the link between education and wage inequality in Germany. The wage inequality is characterized by its stability, although a more detailed analysis reveals structural differences, especially between East and West Germany. Both the between and within educational levels wage inequality changed little over time, while there are some tendencies of a converging distribution of education. A need for further research is identified in the effects of education on wage inequality in separate cohorts as well as the direct links between the two distributions in Germany. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 03-29.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pereira, Pedro Telhado & Martins, Pedro Silva, 2000.
"Does Education Reduce Wage Inequality? Quantile Regressions Evidence from Fifteen European Countries,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp379, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Pereira, Pedro T. & Martins, Pedro S., 2000. "Does Education Reduce Wage Inequality? Quantile Regressions Evidence from Fifteen European Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 120, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pereira, Pedro Telhado & Martins, Pedro Silva, 2002. "Does Education Reduce Wage Inequality? Quantile Regressions Evidence from Fifteen European Countries," Discussion Papers 709, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Hunt, Jennifer, 1999.
"Post-Unification Wage Growth in East Germany,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2106, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jennifer Hunt, 1999. "Post-Unification Wage Growth in East Germany," NBER Working Papers 6878, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jennifer Hunt, 1998. "Post-Unification Wage Growth in East Germany," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 304, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Eswar Prasad, 2000. "The Unbearable Stability of the German Wage Structure," IMF Working Papers 00/22, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:iab:iabmit:v:36:i:4:p:493-508 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pdn:wpaper:30 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bellmann, Lutz & Gartner, Hermann, 2003. "Fakten zur Entwicklung der qualifikatorischen und sektoralen Lohnstruktur (Facts on the development of the qualification-related and sectoral wage structure)," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 36(4), pages 493-508.
- Mathias Sommer, 2008. "Understanding the trends in income, consumption and wealth inequality and how important are life-cycle effects?," MEA discussion paper series 08160, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.