Antitrust immunity for airline alliances
AbstractThe market developments in international air transportation have led to the dominance of three global airline alliances - Star, SkyTeam and oneworld. At the same time, members of these alliances receive increasingly more freedom in coordinating various aspects of joint operations, including scheduling and pricing decisions, as well as the right to form revenue-sharing joint ventures in international markets. Although the significant consumer benefits generated by airline cooperation are undisputed, the recent developments raise antitrust concerns. Against this background, the paper compares the key competitive effects of airline alliances and antitrust immunity with the economic lines of reasoning in recent policy actions to develop recommendations for a full-fledged assessment of antitrust immunity for airline alliances. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 10-080.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
- K21 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Antitrust Law
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brouwer, E. & Ozbugday, F.C., 2011.
"Competition Law, Antitrust Immunity and Profits: A Dynamic Panel Analysis,"
2011-022, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Brouwer, E. & Ozbugday, F.C., 2011. "Competition Law, Antitrust Immunity and Profits: A Dynamic Panel Analysis," Discussion Paper 2011-038, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Víctor Valdés, 2013. "Fallas del mercado y del gobierno en el sector aeronáutico mexicano," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 15(29), pages 253-283, July-Dece.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Hüschelrath, Kai, 2010.
"Airline alliances, antitrust immunity and market foreclosure,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
10-083, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Kai Hüschelrath, 2013. "Airline Alliances, Antitrust Immunity, and Market Foreclosure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 95(4), pages 1368-1385, October.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Hüschelrath, Kai, 2012. "Airline alliances, antitrust immunity and market foreclosure," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-083 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Stephen Martin, 2012. "Market Structure and Market Performance," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 87-108, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.