Tariffs and welfare in new trade theory models
AbstractArkolakis, Costinot and Rodriguez-Clare (ACR, 2012) prove that, conditional on the change in openness, the welfare gains from foreign trade reforms are quantitatively identical across single-sector trade models with radically different micro-foundations. We generalize this result to domestic and multilateral trade reforms. And we extend it to cover revenue generating import tariffs. This gives rise to a new type of welfare isomorphisms across models and liberalization scenarios and allows deriving a structurally identical optimal tariff formula. In contrast to the case of iceberg trade costs, welfare formulas based on tariff reforms are highly nonlinear and build on different types of trade elasticities and openness indices. Most importantly, the ACR iceberg formula necessarily underestimates the gains from trade. A stylized calibration of the model shows that the underestimation can be large. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences in its series University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance with number 41.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Gravity Equation; Monopolistic Competition; Heterogeneous Firms; Armington Model; International Trade; Trade Policy; Gains from Trade;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Costas Arkolakis & Svetlana Demidova & Peter J. Klenow & Andres Rodriguez-Clare, 2008.
"Endogenous Variety and the Gains from Trade,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 444-50, May.
- Costas Arkolakis & Arnaud Costinot & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2009.
"New Trade Models, Same Old Gains?,"
NBER Working Papers
15628, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Prat, Julien, 2007.
"Product Market Regulation, Firm Selection and Unemployment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2754, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gabriel Felbermayr & Julien Prat, 2011. "Product Market Regulation, Firm Selection, And Unemployment," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 278-317, 04.
- Julien Prat & Gabriel Felbermayr, 2007. "Product Market Regulation, Firm Selection and Unemployment," 2007 Meeting Papers 667, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gabriel Felbermayr & Benjamin Jung, 2011.
"Sorting It Out: Technical Barriers to Trade and Industry Productivity,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 93-117, February.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel J. & Jung, Benjamin, 2008. "Sorting it out: Technical barriers to trade and industry productivity," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 315, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Benjamin Jung, 2008. "Sorting It Out: Technical Barriers to Trade and Industry Productivity," FIW Working Paper series 014, FIW.
- Edward J. Balistreri & Russell H. Hillberry & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2008.
"Structural Estimation and Solution of International Trade Models with Heterogeneous Firms,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
08/89, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Balistreri, Edward J. & Hillberry, Russell H. & Rutherford, Thomas F., 2011. "Structural estimation and solution of international trade models with heterogeneous firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 95-108, March.
- Russell H. Hillberry & Edward J. Balistreri & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2007. "Structural Estimation and Solution of International Trade Models with Heterogeneous Firms," DEGIT Conference Papers c012_038, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Edward J. Balistreri & Russell H. Hillberry & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2008. "Structural Estimation and Solution of International Trade Models with Heterogeneous Firms," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1056, The University of Melbourne.
- Svetlana Demidova, 2008.
"Productivity Improvements And Falling Trade Costs: Boon Or Bane?,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1437-1462, November.
- Demidova, Svetlana, 2005. "Productivity Improvements and Falling Trade Costs: Boon or Bane?," Working Papers 2-05-1, Pennsylvania State University, Department of Economics.
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Benjamin Jung & Mario Larch, 2011.
"Optimal Tariffs, Retaliation and the Welfare Loss from Tariff Wars in the Melitz Model,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3474, CESifo Group Munich.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Jung, Benjamin & Larch, Mario, 2013. "Optimal tariffs, retaliation, and the welfare loss from tariff wars in the Melitz model," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 13-25.
- Balistreri, Edward J. & Markusen, James R., 2009.
"Sub-national differentiation and the role of the firm in optimal international pricing,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 47-62, January.
- Edward J. Balistreri & James R. Markusen, 2007. "Sub-national Differentiation and the Role of the Firm in Optimal International Pricing," NBER Working Papers 13130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svetlana Demidova & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2007.
"Trade Policy under Firm-Level Heterogeneity in a Small Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
13688, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demidova, Svetlana & Rodríguez-Clare, Andrés, 2009. "Trade policy under firm-level heterogeneity in a small economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 100-112, June.
- Balistreri, Edward J. & Hillberry, Russell H. & Rutherford, Thomas F., 2010.
"Trade and welfare: Does industrial organization matter?,"
Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 85-87, November.
- Edward J. Balistreri & Russell H. Hillberry & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2009. "Trade and Welfare: Does Industrial Organization Matter?," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 09/119, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Matthew Cole, 2011.
"Not all trade restrictions are created equally,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 147(3), pages 411-427, September.
- Benjamin Jung, 2012. "Optimal fixed cost subsidies in Melitz-type models," Empirica, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 87-108, February.
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Benjamin Jung, 2011. "Home Market Effects and the Single-Sector Melitz Model," CESifo Working Paper Series 3695, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ariel Burstein & Jonathan Vogel, 2011. "Factor Prices and International Trade: A Unifying Perspective," NBER Working Papers 16904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.