Ppp Tests In Cointegrated Panels: Evidence From Asian Developing Countries
AbstractThis paper tests the relative version of purchasing power parity (PPP) for a set of ten Asian developing countries using panel cointegration framework. We employ ¡®between-dimension¡¯ dynamic OLS estimator as proposed by Pedroni (2001b). The test results overwhelmingly reject the PPP hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by York University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2002_05.
Length: 7 pages
Date of creation: May 2002
Date of revision:
Purchasing Power Parity; Panel Cointegration; Unit Roots.;
Other versions of this item:
- Syed Abul Basher & Mohammed Mohsin, 2004. "PPP tests in cointegrated panels: evidence from Asian developing countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 163-166.
- Syed A. Basher & Mohammed Mohsin, 2003. ""PPP tests in cointegrated panels: Evidence from Asian developing countries"," Macroeconomics 0310012, EconWPA.
- Syed A. Basher & Mohammed Mohsin, 2003. ""PPP tests in cointegrated panels: Evidence from Asian developing countries"," Macroeconomics 0310013, EconWPA.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Badi H. Baltagi & Chihwa Kao, 2000. "Nonstationary Panels, Cointegration in Panels and Dynamic Panels: A Survey," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 16, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999.
" Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Peter Pedroni, 2000.
"Fully Modified OLS for Heterogeneous Cointegrated Panels,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2000-03, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Tom Doan, . "PANELFM: RATS procedure to perform panel data group mean FMOLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00151, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Westerlund, Joakim, 2005.
"Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data,"
2005:11, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Marie-Ange VEGANZONES-VAROUDAKIS & Arup MITRA & Chandan SHARMA, 2011.
"Total Factor Productivity and Technical Efficiency of Indian Manufacturing: The Role of Infrastructure and Information & Communication Technology,"
- Arup Mitra & Chandan Sharma & Marie-Ange Veganzones, 2011. "Total Factor Productivity and Technical Efficiency of Indian Manufacturing: The Role of Infrastructure and Information & Communication Technology," Working Papers halshs-00597656, HAL.
- Luciano Gutierrez, 2005. "Tests for cointegration in panels with regime shifts," Econometrics 0505007, EconWPA.
- Hsing, Y, 2009. "Functional Forms and PPP: The Case of Canada, the EU, Japan, and the U.K," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
- Chandan Sharma & Sanjay Sehgal, 2010. "Impact of infrastructure on output, productivity and efficiency: Evidence from the Indian manufacturing industry," Indian Growth and Development Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 100-121, October.
- Simón Sosvilla-Rivero & Emma García, . "Purchasing Power Parity Revisited," Working Papers 2003-20, FEDEA.
- Ibrahim Chowdhury, 2004. "Purchasing Power Parity and the Real Exchange Rate in Bangladesh: A Nonlinear Analysis," Working Paper Series in Economics 14, University of Cologne, Department of Economics.
- Mark Holmes & Ping Wang, 2006. "Asymmetric adjustment towards long-run PPP: Some new evidence for Asian economies," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 161-177.
- Kalyoncu, Hüseyin & Kula, Ferit & Aslan, Alper, 2010. "The Validity of Purchasing Power Parity Hypothesis in Middle East and Northern Africa Countries," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(4), pages 125-131, December.
- Joakim Westerlund, 2009. "A note on the use of the LLC panel unit root test," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 517-531, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Support).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.