Estimation of the Contribution of Child Labour to the Formation of Rural Incomes: An Application to Nepal
AbstractThis paper estimates the contribution of child labour to the formation of household income in rural enterprises. The contribution to household income from the employment of children comes either from the employment on-farm at a shadow wage or off-farm in the agricultural or other sectors. The paper uses a cost function with household labour as a quasi-fixed factor in order to estimate the shadow wage for each component of the household labour force. The study also provides an estimate of contribution of child labour to household income in the rural sector, both at the household and national level. A set of simulation also highlight the role that child labour plays in insuring household subsistence and how it does affects income distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY in its series CHILD Working Papers with number wp10_05.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Child; Labour; Formation; Rural Incomes;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D30 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - General
- I2 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education
- J10 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2005-12-20 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2005-12-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2005-12-20 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Daniel L. McFadden & Paul Ruud, 1993.
"Simulation of Multivariate Normal Rectangle Probabilities and their Derivatives: Theoretical and Computational Results,"
_024, Yale University.
- Hajivassiliou, Vassilis & McFadden, Daniel & Ruud, Paul, 1996. "Simulation of multivariate normal rectangle probabilities and their derivatives theoretical and computational results," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 85-134.
- Arguea, N.M. & Hsiao, C., 1992.
"Econometric Issues of Estimating Hedonic Price Functions- with an Application to the U.S. Market for Automobiles,"
9203, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Arguea, Nestor M. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1993. "Econometric issues of estimating hedonic price functions : With an application to the U.S. market for automobiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 243-267, March.
- Benjamin, Dwayne, 1992. "Household Composition, Labor Markets, and Labor Demand: Testing for Separation in Agricultural Household Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 287-322, March.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel & Hajivassiliou, Vassilis A., 1993.
"Smooth unbiased multivariate probability simulators for maximum likelihood estimation of limited dependent variable models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 347-368, August.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Axel Borsch-Supan, 1990. "Smooth Unbiased Multivariate Probability Simulators for Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Limited Dependent Variable Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 960, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Goldberger, Arthur S, 1972. "Maximum-Likelihood Estimation of Regressions Containing Unobservable Independent Variables," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Heather Congdon Fors, 2012.
"Child Labour: A Review Of Recent Theory And Evidence With Policy Implications,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 570-593, 09.
- Congdon Fors, Heather, 2008. "Child Labor: A Review of Recent Theory and Evidence with Policy Implications," Working Papers in Economics 324, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Eric V. Edmonds, 2007.
NBER Working Papers
12926, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Landorno).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.